🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Songs of Syx

Started by
4 comments, last by jakethesnake 5 years, 7 months ago

Hello. This is what I've been working on the past 5 years, using java and opengl.

It's what I call a city-state simulator, where you build a city and conquer others. Its like Caesar II with a touch of Rome Total war.

winter.png

settlement-scale.pngcharging.pngcarnage.pngshot11-06-2018-13-04-22-960.png

I've got a trailer here:

youtube

I've got me some social promotion: twitter

And a webpage

I'd love to hear what someone else thinks. Would you want to play this? Be harsh!

devoted wanna-be gamedeveloper

Advertisement

Yes, I think I could probably play way to much of this.. ;)   Looks really good from the trailer, a lot of detail! :D  Nice job, when can people try it out?

1 hour ago, Septopus said:

Yes, I think I could probably play way to much of this.. ;)   Looks really good from the trailer, a lot of detail! :D  Nice job, when can people try it out?

Great! Then there are at least 2 future kings of Syx. Release date depends on how the gods favor me. I'm in the process of summoning a social network that will be my kickstarters in a few months time. If I reach my goal, I'll be able to focus on this 50h a week. If not, as a full time employee and a family man with a nagging wife and a son to feed we're looking at 5h /week. With 50h a week, I'd say I'd have a great early access within a year. With 5h, gods know...

It's looking quite bleak right now with 4 followers on twitter and about 50 youtubers, but I'll stick to it for a time and we'll see how things progress.

Any advice on social networking would be most welcome! And here's another screenshot of the minimap:

logistics-twitter_Moment.jpg

As an indie game developer, its kinda hard to get the word out, indeed.  This community is a great place to spend some time though, lots of good folks who truly enjoy watching the progress unfold.  If you are that far out from release, I would recommend that you setup a project blog here and start making regular posts.  This site isn't really an advertising hub, but it is a place where people really get excited about up and coming indie games, and there is a significant amount of traffic from those who are guaranteed to have some interest in new games.  The more you post here, the more you will find people that WILL be exited to play your game. ;)  While that my not directly sell a lot of copies, it will certainly start some buzz here or there, and it REALLY helps with motivation.  Additionally, posting here can result in acquiring some of the most valuable game dev advice you could possibly imagine.  :D

Best of Luck with your scheduling! ;)

13 hours ago, Septopus said:

As an indie game developer, its kinda hard to get the word out, indeed.  This community is a great place to spend some time though, lots of good folks who truly enjoy watching the progress unfold.  If you are that far out from release, I would recommend that you setup a project blog here and start making regular posts.  This site isn't really an advertising hub, but it is a place where people really get excited about up and coming indie games, and there is a significant amount of traffic from those who are guaranteed to have some interest in new games.  The more you post here, the more you will find people that WILL be exited to play your game. ;)  While that my not directly sell a lot of copies, it will certainly start some buzz here or there, and it REALLY helps with motivation.  Additionally, posting here can result in acquiring some of the most valuable game dev advice you could possibly imagine.  :D

Best of Luck with your scheduling! ;)

Thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement