🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice on creating a lighting sprite

Started by
2 comments, last by A_Mc 5 years, 1 month ago

Hi all

I'm trying to create a lightning sprite to go between two points in the background of scene. For love nor money I cannot make it look good. I'm no artist but I've muddled through thus far but this lightning is proving hard. 

Does anyone have any idiot-guides on how to create a pixel'esque animated lightning bolt ?

I can't even find a decent one to buy.

Any advice welcome. 

Olly

Advertisement

If the lightning never changes, you could probably make each frame of animation by directly drawing them, maybe with some fancy photoshop brushes.  In fact, I really think I've seen a tutorial somewhere using photoshop filters to get the effect.

If the 2 end points will actually vary at runtime, I don't think it will be very easy to pre-render it.  It would likely be easier to draw it using fancy lines of some sort, depending on your game engine.

Go for some sprite librarys on google. They have EVERYTHING you want to know. Frame-by-frame. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement