🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

UX art feedback required

Started by
1 comment, last by Damien B 5 years, 5 months ago

Hi all,

I would like feedback and ideas on how to improve the UX for an indie game I am working on, in Unity. First of all, I am not an artist so pardon the quality of my art assets. What I have in the UX below is a 3D character and a piece of interface that displays some stats about his limbs, such as arms and legs. The limb UX is connected to the limb it represents with a line (drawn with the Line Renderer component in Unity). The problem I am having, and what I want feedback and improvement ideas on, is that the line in question is difficult to distinguish from the background. I've tried different colors, but none seem to work well. Also, because i didn't want to make the line thick (it's current width is 0.02), i couldn't really have any significant outlining. I am open to making the line thicker though, if that would look better and make it stand out more, and also if it works well with the limb UX.

The bottom line is that I want the line connecting the limb UX to the limb to stand out and be easy for the player to distinguish from the background. Also, I would like feedback on the limb UX itself, that's the shape outlined in purple. I am thinking it should probably be bigger and I am not sure that purple works well with the rest of my level.

The first two images below are screenshots of the UX i want feedback on. The second two are ideas i've been bouncing around about to how to improve the UX in question, though I am not sure it would look any better.

So what are some ways I can make my UX interface stand out more and look better? 

UX_question_01132019_1.png

UX_question_01132019_2.png

LineRenderer_1.png

LineRenderer_2.png

Advertisement

Hello lougv22, 

I am an UX designer starting to work in the game industry, I would say two things about your problem :

- Think about the context of utilisation, when / at what frequency is the player going to look at the stats? What action the player has to do to see them? Maybe it would be easier to have a specific button to see all the limbs at once, like a character menu, and then look at the stats. 

- To improve the connection between the stats interface and the limb you can add a visual effect on the limb it is related to (like a purple effect), and also add an icon of the body part on the interface, to make it easier to understand what limb it's related to.  

Finally if you are asking yourself about the relevance of the color, there is no better way than testing it with friends and random people, just ask them if the interface is visible and if the information are legible. If not, how would they improve it? 

Don't hesitate if you have additional questions :) 

Damien 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement