🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unity Updates Terms of Service in Response to Developer Backlash

Started by
13 comments, last by FRex 5 years, 5 months ago
2 hours ago, FRex said:

Their trademark guidelines also say not to use 'Unity' as a noun

If you Google 'Trademarks are adjectives' you will get tons of links stating that that is proper use and one could lose a trademark if not used in that fashion.  The examples I have seen given are: Elevator, Kerosene, Corn Flakes, Yo-Yo. Apparently they had their Trademarks revoked because they were advertised as nouns or fell into use as nouns. Nobody I know says 'Walmart store' so maybe it's time to revoke Wal-Marts trademark.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Advertisement

Oh sure, I can buy that, but:

1. It's Unity who used the word as a noun for years now all over the place.
  2. Their website does it still: "announcing Unity XXXX.YY", "Download Unity", etc.
  3. Even the blogpost announcing these rules does it. :P

It's as if they just had lawyers who never even heard of Unity before copy paste some legalese.

It also sends mixed signals yet again: "everyone does it", "Unity does it", "Unity let's people do it", etc. just like with 2.4.

1 hour ago, FRex said:

Seemingly no one uses the forum to chat about this.

I don't see that there's much more to chat about.  Unity got their I hand slapped and had to open up their restrictive TOS.  Game devs actually won this one from where I'm sitting.  Unity can no longer hold this clause over anybody who uses their engine, for anything really, as long as they don't claim to be a partner of Unity's.  Done deal.  All marketing slogans aside, how democratic do you actually expect a for-profit company to get?

21 minutes ago, Septopus said:

I don't see that there's much more to chat about.

This was a question to Promit about where that chat he mentioned was. Turns out if was a Unity Pro specific channel that isn't public.

I'm done chatting about it now and forever really. My opinion of Unity is set (to zero). Apology in one place and passive aggressive "not everyone can be as open as mature as we are" on the other.

21 minutes ago, Septopus said:

All marketing slogans aside, how democratic do you actually expect a for-profit company to get? 

It turned out they knew what Improbable were doing since they were at Unite 2016 talking about "running thousands of Unity instances int he cloud".

Here are things they could have avoided doing: changing the ToS  like that; claiming they blocked Improbable's license keys to "protect the integrity and value of our technology and Unity developers" (actual blog post quote); claiming there always was ToS violation even when backpedaling hard and restoring the keys; saying "we won't say the details of their violation out of respect for all sides" while calling Improbable immature withing the same hour.

I'm not sure why you are so contrarian. I'm done with this topic and won't reply anymore. All the arguments are on the table. If you think Unity acted well - I think you're wrong but what can I do? If you just like the engine, work for a company using it, work for Unity company itself, use it for your projects - that's fine, the criticism is of CTO, CEO and the corporation. No sane person would blame a random user or employee for something bad Unity did as a corporation.

Now I'm unfollowing all Unity related threads since this is all over.

Goodbye. :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement