🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adobe Acquires Allegorithmic

Started by
31 comments, last by Septopus 5 years, 5 months ago
51 minutes ago, slayemin said:

It's a major time saver and I also think its the future of asset creation.

Agree. I was assuming Substance stuff might become integrable in custom tools as a library, so driving it directly from editor, assisted by AI eventually, etc. (similar to Simplygon for example)

I doubt Adobe shares such a vision :(  Seeing the trailer ending: "game on"??? they may not even understand the difference between playing games and development. It's not just about monopoly, it also seems in the wrong hands now. Hope they prove me wrong...

Advertisement

I wont repeat my full rants here as I already told Allegorithmic today about what I thought about Adobe acquiring them, and the future issues majority of their user-base are going to be concerned about... but we all know Adobe's track record and it doesn't show anything promising for the future regardless of what statements we see coming from Allegorithmic about the merger. Adobe has already stated they will be integrating Substance products into their Creative Cloud, so be on the look out for their "outstanding" pricing package to maintain usage of the software, and most likely say good bye to any perpetual license agreements once Substance products are part of Creative Cloud. It's extremely unlikely non "rent to use" options will exist.

I'm not happy about this, but we all will be forced to either accept it, or move on one way or another. We will see within a few years how this pans out. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not maintaining high expectations.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Poor substance users, I feel your pain.

Hopefully this will create more effort / demand for an open source alternative. :) 

Autodesk acquiring 3ds Max back then made me switch to Blender (because Autodesk was making really poor decision, and the pricing skyrocketed).

Sadly Substance has no alternative as of now ... and Adobe (as Autodesk) is well known to literally f*** up anything they acquire.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

3DAE494E-4C1B-4304-AFF8-1D669BA8AD8B.jpeg.6009ceb7e3b6ee66fa6cfa77908101d5.jpeg

71FF3C0F-8418-4754-B5B8-3B17EB8DDA5E.jpeg.ce2bfb4867a608d84ebd68f6031fa44b.jpeg

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I understand that the majority of people here function purely from a hobby aspect. I do as well as far as game design goes. I am however a professional artist. I pay for Adobe suite for personal use (and occasional freelancing) despite having a copy provided to me for my 9-5 job. I work with 2 other artists at my job, and they do the same. From a professional standpoint, Adobe is honestly the best set of tools that we have.(although, I do most of my illustration in clip studio, just for the line quality and behavior of their vector drawing tools)  Now, I'm getting other hobby tools added into my cc package. That's awesome. To be honest, I understand that 50 bucks is expensive for some people to pay monthly, but it's cheaper than most of my other expenses for monthly hobbies.

People are complaining a lot about Adobe's use and target of what substance will become, saying that they don't understand "game". You're probably right. But what they do understand is "creation". The focus may broaden a bit so that substance finds other uses, but in no way will stop you from using it as you choose. 

And for those worries a out losing assets, download them now. Save them locally. If not, you're worried about losing assets you never actually had to begin with. Honestly we don't even know how Adobe is going to handle the asset distribution going forward.

But, alas, the sky is falling, and its Adobe's fault.

Now they can implement virusses and trojan-horses and spread it more like they always do.

I dont understand if someone installs anything adobe, it the most virusses, and even the updates contain virusses.

Note the logo : a eye watching tru a hole.

They are everywhere, they are build in windows and everything links to them, it has to stop.

If they not put in virusses and leaks on purpose i am not Sound Master.

1 hour ago, Sound Master said:

Now they can implement virusses and trojan-horses and spread it more like they always do.

I dont understand if someone installs anything adobe, it the most virusses, and even the updates contain virusses.

Note the logo : a eye watching tru a hole.

They are everywhere, they are build in windows and everything links to them, it has to stop.

If they not put in virusses and leaks on purpose i am not Sound Master.

Aluminum foil, make a hat out of it, it will keep the eye off you.....

C'mon dude!!  What the heck are you jabbering about? 

Nobody likes Adobe that much, granted, but they don't put viruses and trojan horses into their products, and their products are NOT built into windows... 

So, what name are you going to go by now?

Is there no flash build in windows ?

Its real, open your eyes, they are the leakest.

Probally i,m not even over exaggerating.

2 minutes ago, Sound Master said:

Is there no flash build in windows ?

Um.. no...  Microsoft browsers support Flash, at least until 2020.. https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/07/25/flash-on-windows-timeline/

Windows itself has not a care..  The browser is not the operating system.

2 minutes ago, Sound Master said:

Its real, open your eyes, they are the leakest.

I dunno what that means...  Maybe you've been downloading your Adobe products from warez sites?  Not recommended.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement