🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Next generation games

Started by
59 comments, last by Paladin 24 years, 4 months ago
True, Wings is better (that''s what I''ve played the most also.. OK the most after AUTS and my own game...) but V-wing had more orginal ideas.

Paladin, I read a bit about your "Dust"-project from your homepages. Why don''t you tell some more about this game so we here could give you ideas?

-Hans
Advertisement
Just a thought.
It''s not only technology that allows a player to immerse him/herself into a game, it''s the story, the plot, the characters, the envioronment. You think the original three Star Wars (stretching it a bit with Jedi) would have been as succesful if it were only special effects, and no story (as cheesy as it might have been.) There are still very low-tech devices around giving people hours of enjoyment and inmersion, they''re called books.

Part of the future of gaming will include better (real?) writers working with designers. Hopefully...
True games need more plot, but graphics are good as well. You can add more to the game if the engine is capable of handling more. If all computers still used EGA screens would Q3 be as much fun? And isn''t it nicer seeing a new video then an older one because the image is crisper. That''s why people like CDs so much, the sound is nicer then tapes.

I think once we get faster computers and better programs, games will have voice synthesizers that sound human. Your computer could talk to you and give you info on new monsters/areas/whatever that you encounter. With better AI you could tell the computer how to rig objects together to do something else. That would be expecialy interesting in strategy games like turn based space battles. (ie:"set the torpedo to detinate after 500km with a wide spread" or "put torpedo in a portable status field set to deactivate when a ship approaches within 1km")

I still like the point A to point B games. But I like trying to find where point B is. I see this in TombRaider. Often you need to back track in order to do things in the right order. It''d be nice if there was a little more plot inserted into the game itself instead of between scenes or at the start and end of the game. I''m not to sure how you could to this however.

E:cb woof!
dog135: I think Q3A would be as enjoyable as it is now even with ega graphics. The action is that makes Quakes alive. And people use CD also because they''re cheaper than tapes and as easy to make/use.

Technology means nothing actually: I''m just playing Star Control 2 (with my pentium mmx) and because of it''s witty dialog and clever+dynamic plot, it is just as enjoyable as Half-Life.

Game makers design better engines because that''s what they can do and what they really like doing. Typical programmers really don''t care what kind of a plot game has, if the game can draw millon polys/sec with their new advanced technology that _they_ invented. That''s why every game group should have a talented organizer that thinks what the game is going to be, not just how fast his own code-line is or how good his own music piece sounds.

With a bunch of gfx, music and programming the game is going to be nothing. Just a clone: Doom. Arcanoid. Tetris. Command & Conquer.

-Hans
Where I live (Seattle, WA) CDs are more expensive then tapes. You can get a CD for about $12-$15 but a tape for $7-$10. But the CDs still sell better here. People like the high quality. People also buy expensive monitors because they have more colors, sharper picture, and bigger screen area.

That''s why so many people buy color TVs instead of just buying a cheap black & white TV. The story''s the same on both TVs but people like things to look nice. That''s also why high definition TVs are selling so well, nice picture.

Besides, if you were to play Q3 on an ega screen, you wouldn''t be able to tell the bad guys apart from the walls. Not enough colors. Not to mention, everything would be red instead of brown. Most people don''t like that.

As far as processors go, if you were to try to play a good game on an old 386, it''d be so choppy, you''d die before you saw the guy. And it''s not just the high res. graphics that do that. There''s also a lot of AI involved that needs the faster processor.

The point that I am trying to make is that there are games that you could put on a 386, that would still be challenging. What the game actually is, where the challenge lies, has not much to do with amazing graphics or a multitude of online players. There''s a lot of board and table games that could be programmed on a 386. Board games that have been around for decades, centuries even- and have changes precious little in appearance, because the way the game looks actually is relevant to how the game is played. Many new 3-D, multiplayer games come out each year and wind up in the bagain bins six months later. What does it mean when the average time to complete a game takes ~2 years, but the game is considered outdated in 6 months? To me, it seems that the game was basically a trend, and had little to offer in the way of continuing challenge or interest. - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
True, but what sells the game? When you go to the store and see a bunch of boxes on the shelf, what''s the first one you pick up? The one with the pretty pictures. Sure you could write the game to work on slower computers. I think they should at least have the option to switch to a faster, simpler engine, but they''ll always be trying to make their game the most visualy enticing.

I have that problem with TRIII, the engine they used generates realistic fire, swirls in the water when Lora walks through it, and even smoke out of her guns when she fires. Problem is, it slows down my 200Mhz computer. I do wish they had the option to use the same engine they had in TRII. It ran fine on my computer.

I think most game companies assume you are using a graphics accelerator card. I''m not into games enough to get one.

I didn''t mean that technology or cool gfx would be bad. I meant they aren''t necessary for any game. Some machine power is needed for 3d of course, but from q1 -> q3 I can''t see anything that has developed. CD''s are cheaper in computer media: try putting Baldur''s Gate (3 gigabytes) in disks (1.4 megs).

And yes, gfx and hype sell many poor and dumb games. But I thought we were talking about good games here, not about well selling games..

TR3 could have also been designed to run on 486/66 and people would''ve liked it as much as they do now. Playstation shows well how different games and ideas you can make with just the one machine that doesn''t get any faster. But Playstation games still get better and better.

-Hans
Actualy, we were talking about how 3D glasses would make a game funner to play. They''re not necesary to play the game, but it''s nice being able to see how far away a wall or enemy is. I have a Demo of the first TombRaider, and I like playing TRIII because it''s just nicer looking. Although I also like the story and levels better.

Anyways, back to the original topic, I think the area of games that could use the biggest boost would be the AI. I''ve never really seen any game that has really good AI.

- What games have pretty good AI? I have heard Thief mentioned widely in this respect but I haven''t seen it myself. - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement