🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hobby Project - Game Art

Started by
2 comments, last by Bhelisarios 5 years, 2 months ago

I am creating a Witchaven like game as my hobby probably without any release. But, I would like to ask which graphics editor and style would you recommend me? I know it was created primarily from 2D sprites but is it the best way to create lightweight art with most options for gameplay for this kind of game?  

Advertisement

Hi Bhelisarios,

There are a lot of questions you should answer when deciding your games aesthetic / graphics.

- What emotions or themes do you want your game to project?  Witchaven uses a Gothic horror style, but you could go with a light hearted fairy tale style if you wanted

- Who is your target audience?  You said "probably without any release".  I think that's a little sad.  I would like to play your game.  Is your game for kids?  Teenagers?  Young Adults?  Different demographics enjoy different aesthetics

- What's your skill set?  Do you know how to 3d model?  Are you good at 2d art?  You should play to your strengths.  If you are a good artist you should use good graphics.

- How many hours do you want to invest into graphics?  The more detailed the graphics = more hours.  3d will need significantly more time than 2d.

32 minutes ago, jbarrios said:

- What emotions or themes do you want your game to project?  Witchaven uses a Gothic horror style, but you could go with a light hearted fairy tale style if you wanted

It will be a lighter tone definitely, in my eyes indie games are much better when not taken seriously. 

34 minutes ago, jbarrios said:

- Who is your target audience?  You said "probably without any release".  I think that's a little sad.  I would like to play your game.  Is your game for kids?  Teenagers?  Young Adults?  Different demographics enjoy different aesthetics

I'm glad to hear you would like to play it, maybe it will be just free. As I said this is a hobby project.

35 minutes ago, jbarrios said:

- What's your skill set?  Do you know how to 3d model?  Are you good at 2d art?  You should play to your strengths.  If you are a good artist you should use good graphics.

I can draw in a lower intermediate/intermediate level but I enjoy pixel art but it isn't very good I would say basic. But I like voxels because I would say I can better imagine and express details in it. With 3D like blender, I don´t have any experience but willing to learn it.

43 minutes ago, jbarrios said:

- How many hours do you want to invest into graphics?  The more detailed the graphics = more hours.  3d will need significantly more time than 2d.

I have every day a few hours to spare at night in exchange for gaming :D so there will be slow but steady progress.

However, I'm torn between traditional 2D sprites and simple objects for this retro feel with more 3D graphics where even with voxels it will look less blocky. Or maybe you know some better alternative?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement