🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to find investors to build a very expensive game?

Started by
26 comments, last by multimedia.capitalworks 4 years, 7 months ago

Start programming whatever you intend to create. You will soon find out yourself, that a lot of things consume so much more time than originally expected. It needs a lot of experience to know how much time you are really going to need. A lot of people try an MMORPGs as the first project and think they'll create the next WoW on their own in 3 years because they have so cool ideas that are so much better than the original game... until reality punches them into the face and the project is canceled.

1 hour ago, fgnm said:

I've already a bachelor’s degree, and in the next year I'll get the master’s degree

So you don't have the time to work fulltime on your project for the next year. Don't get me wrong, but no investor cares about you having a master's degree. Why should they? It doesn't tell them if you are worth the money you are asking for. A serious investor needs more than an idea that looks promising. He needs the confidence, that you are actually capable to realize this idea. The only way you can prove this is by realizing projects.

1 hour ago, fgnm said:

Why should I "forget it"?

I would rather say postpone it for the next 10 years. Start small. Find out, what your project needs to be accomplished and try to make small subprojects out of it. For example, if you want to use a super special physics engine in your main project, make a small game out of this physics engine itself. This will show possible investors, that you can finish what you have started, you will make a lot of experiences regarding the realization of game projects and if you get lucky, you will also make some money that you can put into your main project.

Greetings

Advertisement
2 hours ago, fgnm said:

Meanwhile I can find a job in gaming industry to get: experience and monies, at least to create a prototype in order to start a crowdfunding campaign and then get some investors

Several years' experience will be needed. Don't forget you will also make contacts and earn trust of industry pros while working those several years. 

2 hours ago, fgnm said:

Yes, I've understood... But work = money to invest myself -> chances of getting investors, am I wrong?

Yes, you are. Work does not equal money. Investors aren't impressed by the fact that you hope to get a job from their investment. They want you to have a bunch of finished games under your belt.

2 hours ago, fgnm said:

Why should I "forget it"?

That's a bit of an exaggeration. The point is that you won't be getting investors anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, fgnm said:

I want just to point out that my idea is not a game as you intend.

22 hours ago, fgnm said:

beyond the simple idea of "game", I've imaged a community, a society.

Okay, so a second Second Life. Very expensive, as you say.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

4 hours ago, DerTroll said:

I would rather say postpone it for the next 10 years. Start small

That's exactly what I've understood with this thread. I've never said that I want it now, I'm not afraid to wait 10 years (I hope not anyway :p)

4 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Okay, so a second Second Life. Very expensive, as you say

No :) I'm not even a big fan of this kind of games.

20 hours ago, fgnm said:
On 8/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, Tom Sloper said:

Okay, so a second Second Life. Very expensive, as you say

No :) I'm not even a big fan of this kind of games.

I, too, totally imagined Second Life from what you wrote :)

On 8/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, fgnm said:

not the monies but improve people's life, the game could be of course a gold mine just as like Facebook

Nevertheless, I concur that it's highly unlikely to get this funded without having been in the industry for several years, without having sold the idea to a seasoned development team, without having a few released titles (as an employee AND a few smaller ones as an indie) and without throwing a tonne of your own money and time into it.

Good luck, be sure to tell us how it went, once you get the money! ;) (Link to this thread, it might be closed)

I think the most important thing that you can undertake at the moment that will bring you closer to your plans (and reality) is building a prototype. It's not that expensive. You can probably get one going for under 5k (or maybe even less). It's not going to be pretty but you can probably get the essence of your ideas into it. My guess is from there you will probably re-evaluate your original plan and the worthwhileness of the idea, but if you decide to stick to it then just refine the prototype through the years. Whether be it by yourself or through hired help, in a couple of years you will have a reasonably working product, which you can then try and market to anyone interested. 

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

[OffTopic] I had a colleague in our AAA studio who kept working on his dream *censored-vehicle*-tycoon-type game for 6-7 years during the evenings and free time. He managed to release it after all those years and it became a hit in its niche. So it is, indeed, possible to pursue your dreams in the long run. It just takes time and experience. Now he's fully indie :D [/OffTopic]

7 minutes ago, pcmaster said:

[OffTopic] I had a colleague in our AAA studio who kept working on his dream *censored-vehicle*-tycoon-type game for 6-7 years during the evenings and free time. He managed to release it after all those years and it became a hit in its niche. So it is, indeed, possible to pursue your dreams in the long run. It just takes time and experience. Now he's fully indie :D [/OffTopic]

Very Inspiring! Can I ask you the name of the game? :) (You can send me in private if for some reason you can't tell the name in public)

25 minutes ago, erpeo93 said:

Very Inspiring! Can I ask you the name of the game? :) (You can send me in private if for some reason you can't tell the name in public)

Yes, I want to know too :)

It's getting off-topic, I'm not hijacking this topic. My excuses to the OP. Also, out of respect to my ex-colleague, no more gossip.

You shouldn't just look at the success stories. For every successful game there are probably hundreds of unsuccessful games. Some may not even make it past the idea stage. Some even get crowdfunded and then fail (for example, Stellar Overload got €1.5 million in total funding and still failed).

I'd recommend looking at some examples of failure to learn what not to do rather than looking at the success stories and think you can make it, too, by just doing something similar. For example, your company won't grow to be the new Amazon if you sell goods online the same way Jeff Bezos did. Most of it is pure luck. It was just pure luck that Amazon is even named Amazon, if Jeff Bezos hadn't been told that "Relentless" was a bad name and a laywer didn't mishear Cadabra (the original name) as "cadaver" he would have likely failed and someone else would have become the richest person on the planet.

I know it's an extreme example but I think you get the point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement