🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Issue with MS-DOS .BBM file format.

Started by
26 comments, last by yaboiryan 4 years, 9 months ago

Hello!

--Disclaimer--

I know I shouldn't be developing with MS-DOS, but please do not bother me about how I should be using Unreal Engine, Unity, or OpenGL, as I will ignore those comments! I am just messing around with MS-DOS to challenge my skills.

--The Question--

I asked a question a few months ago about how to compile a MS-DOS game engine. I have, since then, figured out how to successfully compile the game, but with an older version of the engine. Nothing really is different but only one file format is supported.

--*This* is where the first problem arises--

*Also, you can find the previous post about the issues with this Engine here * (thanks to @Steve_Segreto)

I am having issues with the image files. I can edit them with my 30 day trial of Paint Shop Pro, but when I try to save them, I get an error that is generated when the loading of the image returns null. 

The file format is exclusive to Paint Shop Pro, which I can give a link to a 30 day trial to anyone who needs it to help me. (*The format is the .LBM format*)

No matter what resolution, no matter how much I try to make the image exactly the same as the ones that came with the engine, I still get the same issue. 

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps!

Advertisement

Have you tried using GIMP? It supports a lot of formats. You probably have to run the program in Windows, of course.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper, I have, but it does *not* support .LBM...

Aw.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yeah

41 minutes ago, yaboiryan said:

I know I shouldn't be developing with MS-DOS, but please do not bother me about how I should be using Unreal Engine, Unity, or OpenGL, as I will ignore those comments! I am just messing around with MS-DOS to challenge my skills.

I hate to be a bother and I am a little upset that you are ignoring this comment but it sounds like your skills have failed to meet the challenge.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

@fleabay, allow me to rephrase that. I want to make a game in MS-DOS.

The .LBM format was native to Deluxe Paint. Perhaps you can get your hands on a copy of that. But prepare for a painful experience, being spoiled by today's tools. I'm not aware of any modern editors supporting this format for export, otherwise you'll probably have to search through old software until you find an editor that produces a valid image.

@Prototype, I have been using Deluxe Paint...

5 minutes ago, yaboiryan said:

@Prototype, I have been using Deluxe Paint...

You said the format is exclusive to Paint Shop Pro.

Either way if that doesn't work you need to know what software or version was used to create the original images. Things were hardly standarized back then so that kind of problem arises.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement