🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Feedback on Maya Homework

Started by
3 comments, last by tyree 4 years, 8 months ago

Hello, I'm a 21 year old who recently started community college to pursue a career in game development, I'm mainly focusing on the 3d modeling and animation aspect of it and so far it is pretty good, right now im working on my 3rd project in a foundations class that covers the very basics of Maya, I want this project to look particularly good (not to knock my first 2 projects), so far I know object and component mode as well as the basics of moving around the space and stuff, this project focuses on the extrude tool, wanted to get your guys thoughts on this its probably shitty to anyone with years of experience but probably my best project thus far.

Project03BotelhoDevin.jpg.5f0429d5699b78de3b6b3ea83a0879b4.jpg

Advertisement

The most important thing at this stage is to understand the tools you're using, and less on how your results "look". I would also suggest when modeling to use references and even orthographic references to model from in Maya. Once you have that down then it's all about modeling with correct topology which really comes into play when you get into animation.

When you're asking for feedback on your modeling and not on the actual 'look' you really should show the wire-frames so we can see your topology.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Like Rutin said above, try to use reference images when modeling objects. The TV & chairs would read a lot better if they were properly scaled. Also, the wall's material is hard on the eyes. I think a more neutral / complimentary color would improve the scene.

polygon modeling is the easiest to learn. but you should look into nurbs, spline and patch modeling. do not be to concerned with texture. with a 3d paint program, you can paint exactly as you want. but being able to model exactly what you want. with speed and ease. if you learn that you will not need another 3d program

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement