🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need advice on selecting a no-code engine

Started by
0 comments, last by spaceboy909 4 years, 6 months ago

Hi all. I've been looking over a top list of no-code engines and am trying to narrow it down and would appreciate some help with this.

I first was looking at either Unity or UE4, which seem to be two of the top picks, but then I got to thinking that it might be best for me to start with a 'no code' design tool.

So, I've picked some out of a list that seem to be the more popular ones, but I need help deciding between them, and also what your opinions are on going with a no code tool vs Unity.

In no particular order:

Gamemaker

Stencyl

BuildBox

Gdevelop

==============

Here is my criteria at this point:

• Most likely starting with 2D
  • Broad Multi platform (pc/mac/windows/linux/Steam/mobile/etc)
  • Solo offline, primarily, but eventually online multiplayer
  • Smooth looking art to begin with, but eventually I'd like to have pretty realistic art
  • I want to sell it, and ideally at least make a part time income from it

Ok, I think that pretty much covers it. When I look at the feature lists and pros and cons on comparison sites between the different ones, because there is so much, it is a lot of work to figure out what would be best, and then I'm viewing it from a greenhorn's eyes, plus, sometimes things that are listed as a pro or con may in practice may not be that big of a deal, vs other criteria.

Thanks for any help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement