🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Quick question - 4 player online, server required?

Started by
12 comments, last by frob 4 years, 5 months ago

hplus0603 said:

Note that most of the Steam-using games (including Left for Dead) are not actually peer-to-peer.

Oh yes. I've been using P2P to mean small scale multiplayer vs one with a dedicated headless server, which is incorrect. My assumption has always been that one player “hosts” the game and the other 3 players connect as clients.

For local multiplayer retro themed games, visit Domarius Games.

Advertisement

Kylotan said:
Multiplayer in Unity is currently unsupported - as in, there is no multiplayer functionality currently shipped with the Unity engine that is not either deprecated or in an alpha/unstable state.

Wow yuck. A while back I followed a Unity multiplayer tutorial, I had 2 players moving around but the syncing was 15 fps and very jerky, and I could see I was going to have to implement my own position smoothing. I assume it's possible but the existing features are very primitive and you'll have to do a lot of ground work whereas UE4 it's very complete so you can get on with making the rest of the game.

For local multiplayer retro themed games, visit Domarius Games.

I would agree that it is “more complete”, but it is hardly what I would call “very complete”.

Even within UE4, for any non-trivial multiplayer game you'll be devoting a tremendous effort to getting the networking side working well. UE4 gives a framework for some parts of it, a large set of basic building blocks --- interest management, coarse bandwidth controls, and some synchronization tools --- but they will require significant effort and a lot of learning to use the building blocks effectively. You will also be writing many of your own unique building blocks and customizing the ones they provide.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement