🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My sci-fi book is nearly complete, i'm fishing for a game potential.

Started by
15 comments, last by ChristopherClay 3 years, 6 months ago

The book takes place on a different planet, with an alien species.

The planet would be similar to mordor of lotr, and dune… but significantly worse… its a combination of mad max and borderlands on the planets surface. IIn orbi is the equivalent to an 8 sided star wars battle.

It has strange customs, and is very violent. Just out here checking before i'm published the potential developer interest.

If you have a fun project in mind, with nontraditional and obscene characters, probably save time and message me.

Advertisement

Frankly, developer interest will be directly proportional to audience potential in something like this. If you sell your book to a million people, then you might find some interest. Otherwise, the question is whether you'd want to self-fund a game.

Probably not the right match, but I've been low-key hunting for an obscure scifi book to flavor this long-term/semi-abandoned sandbox game: https://gamejolt.com/games/space_fleet/366182

EDIT: Very small chance of actually finishing, let alone being successful. Mostly just doing it for fun.

That is what has always confused me about developers… when a book is published, the creative aspect of the book is set in stone. The ability to change or modify aspects is over. You than have larger companies that can swoop in and buy the rights.

I checked out your game idea. My book has extensive space battles, small fighters to large ships, asteroid mines, factions and a large web of politics. It could possibly work with that system.

If you have a fun project in mind, with nontraditional and obscene characters, probably save time and message me.

I have i sci-fi game designed. That could use a good story. Is only a PVP at the moment.

If you are interested.

But for the game development we are going to need a team leader. since i do not have time to organize tasks and project objectives, goals, etc…

I could help width code, but my main work is in “the box” if you readed some posts.

The book i developed was built around the idea videogames can be built off of it.

The main idea would be to make a battlefront type game, with many sides. That have no reset, ships are continued to upgrade. You would command an asteroid mine, which you keep upgrading and building, you build fleets. As opposed to cookie cutter ships and bases, its less gimicky. You would have trade, the best part if your fleets and asteroid mine is destroyed… you start on the planet, trying to fight back into space. Probably with 5 to 10 people fighting on the surface, and looking for ore. Which larger groups will try destroying and looting the bodies. Getting rid of restarts would be a healthy thing, the disadvantage of not fighting would be technology would pass you by.

An example have cities, asteroid mines, and outposts that are computer controlled trade centers, that can be destroyed, and rebuilt. Custom armor paint jobs, similar to clone wars commander and captain armor. As opposed to building a million pieces of equipment, use an unlimited dungeons and dragon system of take an item, and allow endless upgrades to the item. So a hand gun might be 6 bullet magazines, 5hp damage, 25% accuracy, fires 1 second per round, 5% jamming chance, 1% self cleaning. Have 30 seconds to reload empty magazines. What then happens is you can buy another magazine, next maybe upgrade the gun barrel, improving accuracy 5%. Than you upgrade gun mechanics, like the trigger, springs, and will increase fire rate to .8 seconds per round. So extrapolated out, if you have 20 bridge officers, against 20 marines, and they both have hand guns. If the bridge officers have upgraded guns, they likely will win.

You should write a propper GameDesignDocument, with everything you want to be in the gaem. Then break the GDD down into work-packages to estimate the total workload for each department, e.g. character officer a = 3d model 2 days, 2d skin 1 day, rigged+animations bought package X, code 1 day, dialogues 0.2 days.

If you have the ressources for all of that (either enough people for “make” or budget to "buy" packages) then you have a realistic plan, otherwise it will not happen.

Launcher111 said:
That is what has always confused me about developers… when a book is published, the creative aspect of the book is set in stone. The ability to change or modify aspects is over. You than have larger companies that can swoop in and buy the rights.

But game developers don't have any interest in being able to change your book. For a game developer, the value of basing the game around the book is gaining access to people who are already fans of the book and who want to see a game built around it. Until the book is published and popular, that value doesn't exist.

If the developer just wants some high quality world-building and narrative, they can employ writers to do that specifically for the game they have in mind - they won't ask them to write a book and then fit the game to it.

If you look at it from the authors perspective… if i make a book and sell a million copies… electronic arts offers 10 million for exclusive gaming rights and privileges…. Where does that leave the small developer group? Any story deemed to be high quality will receive attention from corporations. The small developers cant compete with the EA bank account.

As an author i know what EA will do… milk the content, pervert it, trash the story line, and leave it for dead. The idea being you have a multi media attack strategy. World of warcraft employed this strategy, with books, a movie and games, which used to help grow the franchise. Somewhat true of star wars… but the movies really carry the franchise.

The point I'm trying to make is if you try making a game off a best selling book, EA would buy the right first, leaving you in the same position. The relationship changes as well, the developers have constraints put on them. As an example, no new species, or technology… when an author just sold a million copies, why take a risk of a videogame messing it up… write more books, and the developers answer to you. Where as pre released, the developer can say, in chapter 7, i need this person to live, maybe bend a few things here and there.

Stories are prisons developers are trapped in the confines of…. Unless your jj abrams… and simply blow up every planet, and disregard the story for a cgi orgy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement