🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Casual Persistent World Multiplayer Project

Started by
2 comments, last by WGS_Stillwater 4 years, 2 months ago

Anyone out there that would be interested in following through on a project of this nature?

Things you need to be able to do:

• Use unrealengine 4 (blueprints and/or C++) to create gameplay elements (UI, gameplay systems, AI, animations, etc)
  • Know how to use Visual Studio 2017/2019
  • Be able to assist in the asset generation pipeline (modeling, animations, sound, textures, editing, optimization, implementation, etc)
  • Know how to use git (or have familiarity with a similar source control)
  • Be familiar with datatables and CSV files

A year ago I didn't know any of these things, and I'm learning as I go too. You don't need to be pro, I just can't hold hands or wait for someone to build their technical knowledge up enough to do more than just contribute “ideas”. You should be able to pull from source control, work on whatever you need to do and know how to push back to source control properly.

You should be able to either work with blueprints or C++ at intermediate level.

You should be able to create functional UI elements, be familiar with ability system, AI system, animations, and sound.

You should be able to create a mob from a child class and create it's AI and use the ability system to create it's interactions. You need to at minimum know how to compile source build engine in VS. At this time assets aren't in focus so it's not important right now, but in the near future you will need to be able to contribute somewhere in the art department too.

I feel like it'd be like winning the lottery to find someone that has all these abilities & is passionate about the genre (RPG) & is willing to follow through. I'm a fan of the EQ / DnD model, that's kinda what I'm going for with a few twists to the meta that will actually simplify/cut-out a lot of redundant development work.

I don't need a portfolio, just message me and tell me what you can do and what you'd like to do and what's your vision for a game of this nature.

Advertisement

Backend development is coming along, getting character creation sorted right now. Should have the stats syncing up within the week. After that I need to build the inventory and skills system. After those are done I'll be setting up the world composition and world origin shifting, once that's in place I can start bringing on some level designers.

Itd be great to find a UI / UX artist to get things looking pretty.

Also a 2D artist and a writer would be great additions.

Decided to get the game systems laid out in a single player format first after running into some replication headaches and feeling like the code just wasn't as clean as I wanted it to be. Plus it's a lot easier to show someone your design than it is to try to explain it through text. Being able to focus a bit more with less frustration has helped me set things up more efficiently, like initializing and then setting character stats within the ability system and then saving them back to the characters data / savegame. I've also sorted out an automatic backup system incase the save game gets corrupted (obviously SQL will handle this differently) and it just sets the backup as the new default and creates a new backup. Anyways here's how to set multiple effects contained within one ability using the ability system:

Originally I was just brickwalling and almost made an ability for each effect/stat I needed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement