🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Creating a briefing cutscene

Started by
8 comments, last by Enzio599 4 years, 3 months ago

Hello.

I would like to ask for suggestions on how would someone be able to create these “briefing” cutscenes you can often see in COD:Modern Warfare or Crysis 2 and 3. I will provide link below. Basically, it´s these short movies that roll before you jump into the game, they kind of explain the context of your mission, what is currently happening with characters, locations and so on. I would be grateful if someone explained how these are made. In your opinion, what would be the most appropriate software for this ?

Example from COD:MW2:

Thank you for all your answers.

Advertisement

I wonder if this was posted in the right subforum: Of course it could be explained in simple terms, but it's not your typical beginner task; In the case of the posted example, the video was prerendered and likely made in a tool, or a suite of tools, where it was possible to edit, import and animate models, deal with cameras, wireframe rendering, place text in space etc.

Some of the most popular 3D graphics toolsets are Blender, Maya and 3D Studio Max.

prepare all the animations…

setup stage (level/map)

program the camera (may be get inspired by john woo…)

@SuperVGA I am sorry, I was not completely sure about appropriate location. Thank you for your answer though, both here, and the other one concerning my Graduation Thesis.

@Enzio599 Thank you for your help.

N1H1LU5_k said:

@SuperVGA I am sorry, I was not completely sure about appropriate location. Thank you for your answer though, both here, and the other one concerning my Graduation Thesis.

Np! Sorry for necroing it! I can't actually recall if I went that far back in the discussion overview, or if I checked your profile to find it. Either way I hope your project is going well despite you looking into cutscene animation ?

@SuperVGA Thanks. But I am kind of mad about myself, because I am not giving it near as much time as I would like to. I mean, I do now, schools here are closed because of the Coronavirus, but when I think about how much time I have lost… urgh…

@n1h1lu5_k I know that feeling. It's a tough habit to break to postpone work or get distracted. I think at this point, I finally feel guilty for not working on the project, and will work on it every day. I'm not sure it's healthy, but at least I get some stuff done. Often, just opening the project and starting a tedious task is the only thing between giving the project no and a lot of attention. I'm sure you can catch up though!

@SuperVGA Yeah, it´s really like that sometimes, I just need to open the software that I should be using and I will work for hours. That would currently be Blender, I am going through tutorials and excercises. But I am also taking a lot of time with brainstorming around character design, gadgets, weapons and so on, which I personally love designing. I still can´t draw some parts of the human body correctly though. It´s still all on paper, however. I don´t have the means to get a graphic tablet and drawing with mouse is just… bleh :D But I will be getting a scanner soon, so that will make creating reference images for Blender from paper drawings possible… I hope so, anyway.

Sorry for longer post.

game specific cut scenes are better made in their associated engine editor… for eg unreal engine has a set of tools called matinee, google "what is matinee in unreal engine 4"… these makes it easy ibtegrate cutscenes to gameplay events… and let me tell u not all cut scenes are prerendered… some games even allows slight camera movements while the cut scene is playing…

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement