🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best ways to get into the gaming industry

Started by
4 comments, last by texanguy1 4 years, 3 months ago

Hi, I am a sophomore in high school who is really trying to get myself involved into the gaming industry. I've always had a passion for games ever since I was really young and now I've been wondering how to actually make a game. I have no real idea for a pathway to choose from since I don't know which ones out there that would best suit me. I have a big interest in creating unique, immersive atmospheres in games that catch the players attention. I like looking for the visual aspect of making them and want to know how to begin learning how to do that.

If anyone has experience or knows some ways to start I would very much appreciate it if you could comment on this post.

Advertisement

dovuhhh said:
Best ways to get into the game industry?

I have a big interest in creating unique, immersive atmospheres in games that catch the players attention. I like looking for the visual aspect of making them and want to know how to begin learning how to do that.

You need to start working with graphics and animation tools, and take art and programming classes starting next school year, and you should plan on getting a bachelors degree.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom,

You said to get your bachelors degree. What should you try to specialize in for new students who are planning to do that? Most schools have set curricula but is there anything that someone should try to get more of before they graduate to make them great candidates for that gaming job? Should students go after more C++ courses or try to get optional courses in the game engine that the school is using? Should a student decide on the specialization before they start so they can maximize their potential? I know a lot of students get into their last year and then have to crunch to try to get what they want.

Is there any other things students should concentrate on to get that gameplay programmer job.

Dennis

None

texanguy1 said:
You said to get your bachelors degree. What should you try to specialize in for new students who are planning to do that?

That depends on the student's interests and abilities.

texanguy1 said:
Most schools have set curricula but is there anything that someone should try to get more of before they graduate to make them great candidates for that gaming job?

A great candidate has not only a degree but also a great portfolio.

texanguy1 said:
Should students go after more C++ courses or try to get optional courses in the game engine that the school is using?

I can't advise you on programming. I'm not a programmer.

texanguy1 said:
Should a student decide on the specialization before they start so they can maximize their potential? I know a lot of students get into their last year and then have to crunch to try to get what they want.

Nobody needs to force a specialization on themselves. Go with what interests or intrigues or challenges you.

texanguy1 said:
Is there any other things students should concentrate on to get that gameplay programmer job

For a programming job, I'd recommend a CS degree. And a great portfolio.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Tom

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement