πŸŽ‰ Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! πŸŽ‰

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Golden Fall 2 Demo. Feedback required.

Started by
15 comments, last by Zurtan 3Β years, 10Β months ago

My game, Golden Fall 2, has a Demo on Steam.

Golden Fall 2 is an RPG with hand tailored levels with Roguelike combat mechanics.

You walk with ASDW or arrow keys, and click to interact or attack.

Spacebar to pass a turn.

Please let me know what you think, if it was difficult, unclear or some other issues.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1292410/Golden_Fall_2/​

The game is mainly for Windows right now. There is also a linux version but it's not up to date.

Here is a demonstration of the localization I am working on:

Advertisement

I really like how the map opens up as you explore, it gives it that sense of depth as you go deeper into the dungeon.

i would add more simple puzzles along the way, like in the Zelda games. pushing blocks around to clear the way forward but pushing them in the wrong order means you permanently loose the chance to get minor items or power ups. i'm sure you have played skyrim? in that as you work your way through a dungeon you see stone carvings of hawks, fish and snakes, when you come to an alter you need to remember the combination to open the next door. that would be good here too.

Kind Regards

-Stu-

Thanks,

I have more riddles later on. But they are on levels which are not in the Demo.

My fear right now is that I will lose the balancing of combat, and it will turn too easy or to repetitive.

Seems like in later levels, I need to add more and more mobs, instead of single encounters.

I probably need to add bigger stronger enemies, not just mob enemies.

@Zurtan There is always ranged/magic weapons and mobs that require different tactics to defeat. what about mobs you cannot defeat but you must compete a puzzle to take them down. just a quick example off the top of my head: you cant beat a mob because hes made of fire but you can find a leaver and move a pipe that fills the room with water, then you can go back and kill him.

Kind Regards

-Stu-

I haven't played but the game would look a lot more polished if the character/enemys/background lerped instead of popped. Maybe you have this planned already.

πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Thanks,

Yea, there are a lot of things to do with the GUI and visuals.

I am not sure how much I am going to improve the visuals though. They are already improved from the first game.

I am trying to do incremental advancements.

I think I tried lerping the characters in the past.

There is some issues with dizziness when trying to move the camera and characters when one moves before the other.

It's also kind of problematic, because there is no actual one turn for everyone. They use time units for every action, but eventually every character makes it's move one at a time.

So I would need to move everything simultaneously, maybe that way it will work better. But you also sometimes want different characters to move by their order.

I was playtesting this game so much, that I kind of got used to all the things I used to know that needs to be improved.

I have just started the weekend, so maybe first thing I will do is try out lerping again.

Thanks.

Does this look nicer?

Zurtan said:
Does this look nicer?

Yes. ? I'm delighted.

I have added the lerped walking, but also now enemies and items fade out instead of disappear instantly.

I also hoped I fixed the AI issues I had.

It's version 1.07 and should be available on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1292410/Golden_Fall_2/

Check out these videos if you haven't already…

Jan Willem Nijman - Vlambeer - "The art of screenshake"

Juice it or lose it - a talk by Martin Jonasson & Petri Purho

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement