🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Automate Now! - a factory logistic game

Started by
16 comments, last by King Mir 3 years, 9 months ago

I think the order of the tools is a little confusing, at least on my machine:

Magnetizer should be before Gear Cutter and Gear Cutter before Engine Assembly, which should be before Automobile Assembly.

Also, while I like the new “Earnings” information, it seems like factories, existing before the update, are not included there.

Advertisement

Earnings are per factory, so if you have multiple factories, you will see the earnings for the current factory in the Map tab, and also for each factory in the Factories tab. This is the same for import cost, so earnings - import = profit, at least when all your importers are active. But having an overall earnings indicator is a good idea too. I think I'll put it as a row above the tab bar, and put the bank total there too.

Hmmm, looks like that order got messed up. Probably when it loaded the save. Will test. If you get a chance, it would help to have an export of your game. (So glad I added this feature now!)

Hi,

I really like the game. After some time (hours) playing, I easily managed to make money …. more then 125 million to be precise.

Some bugs I noticed:

• The bank shows I am loosing over 3000 per tick …. I don't. I am earning money.
  • The speed (and FPS) seems to scale with the refresh rate of the monitor.
  • Research for radio seems broken.
  • Overall the time to research stuff could use some rebalancing. Most of the later gameplay was just having it run on a second monitor and wait for research.
  • Tips only show up after a reload, not while playing.

@gwdev

Thanks for playing. Glad you liked it.

About those bugs:

1. Is this after loading a save, or with a new game? I have a known bug where I don't save the production rate correctly. You should see this if you look at the “consuming per tick” of a new exporter, vs one loaded from a save. There are a few other possibilities, so let me know if this doesn't sound like the problem.
  2. The FPS should scale with the refresh rate; this is a measure of graphical frames per second, not game ticks per second. The game speed should on the other hand be fixed at 32Hz, 64Hz, or 128Hz, depending on your settings, that is, the buttons >, >>, or >>>. Technically, that's 32 sub-ticks, because the game concept of a tick is actually 16 sub-ticks; items move one pixel every sub-tick, and appliances update every 16 sub-ticks. So when the game says “Import cost: \$35pertick”, that means \$70 per second at default speed. There are actually two different timing loops. I do not measure if the system keeps up with your game speed; it should, and if you performance is bursty, it should catch up when idle. Graphical FPS is measured because the gui librairy does it for me, and is a good indicator of whether your computer is struggling. Now if you do measure more than game 32 sub ticks per second on default speed over a long interval, than that would indeed be bug.
  3. I'll need to test this. Thanks for pointing this out. I don't see anything obvious that would cause a problem. Only thing is, radio allows you to see PCB's and processing units in the prices tab, but doesn't actually let you build them.
  4. Totally hear you. I haven't been testing the late game very much, and need to. If you'd like to mention which specific tech is too expensive, I can tone that down immediately. I've also got an action item to make the research feel more tiered, so that later items have more complex recipes.
  5. That's weird. There are a total of three tutorial messages that should show up. These are the welcome screen, which should show up on start, and whenever you accomplish a checked item; the tutorial complete message, which shows up when you complete all the checked items, and the “you can afford a factory" message, which I pushed out last night, and which should pop up when you have at least $2000 in the bank. There's also a fourth ”low on money" message, but that's known to be broken. Since most of the items on the checklist are simple things like placing appliances, this should pop up quite a bit when you're trying to get copper smelting working. It sounds like you're only seeing the welcome message the first time? Also, do you see it when you continue a saved game?

Do you have any other suggestions to improve the game? I have lots of plans, but player feedback is appreciated.

PS: Anyone know, how do I escape $ in the forum markup correctly? It keeps wanting to misfomat my currency.

Hi,

1. This happend after loading a game.

2. I opened two browsers (different ones). On both I build a simple copper bar factory. Started both at the same time.

Set both to highest speed:

• 60Hz (secondary) monitor => 51 copper bars
  • 100Hz (primary) monitor => 235 copper bars
  • My impression was, that the production speed on the 60Hz monitor stayed the same.

Both on lowest speed:

• 60Hz (secondary) monitor => 48 copper bars
  • 100Hz (primary) monitor => 57 copper bars

5. Only after loading a game I got notified, that I might be interested in a new factory.

Thanks again for the feedback. Will be sure to test that.

Game has been updated with many changes, including the following based on the feedback here:

• No longer chops off description of appliances; this is wrapped text now.
  • Popup for research discovered shows technology discovered.
  • Controls menu, showing keyboard shortcuts.
  • Archives tab with all previously seen popups, including the tutorial.
  • Added overall bank and profits always at the top.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement