🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A book question

Started by
2 comments, last by Bonefest 3 years, 11 months ago

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a solid computer graphics book. I've made some researches and found several interesting books:

Computer Graphics - Principles and Practice in C (second edition, 1995) - Foley, van Dam, Feiner, Hughes.

Fundamentals of Computer Graphics - Peter Shirley, Michael Ashikhmin, Steve Marschner

They both look pretty nice. But the first seems a little bit outdated.

I would be glad to receive some tips and (probably) short reviews.

At the same time, I understand that a single book is not enough, and to get maximal profit I need to practice it somehow. It would be nice if you'll point to some useful books or resources too. (Actually, I've found Superbible 7th edition but not sure about it).

Advertisement

Foley and van Dam tends to be the ‘bible’ of graphics, if you will. Every other graphics book that I've seen references them at some point. Granted the book is old, however the math and theory behind computer graphics has not changed.

While I don't own Shirley it seems to be a theory book as well. I would suspect the there will be a few sections that might be covered more thoroughly than Foley, but I would expect that if there was something you more information on you would wind up going to Foley.

As such, I would suggest using Shirley as you starting point, and getting Foley after reading Shirley of when you need further information on a topic.

Note that both of these books are more about the theory of computer graphics (which is not bad), while Superbible is more about the practice of computer graphics - i.e. how to draw a triangle in a window using OpenGL. At the end of the day, you will need a book (or books) like Foley as well as books like Superbible.

@thurizas Thank you for your comprehensive reply! I'll follow your suggestions and begin with Fundamental of Computer Graphics. As you've mentioned practice should be done as well. Could you please suggest books or resources that you would prefer to follow to practice CG? OpenGL Superbible seems OK but it looks a bit like documentation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement