🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How much c++ should I need to know before developing 2d games like maro?

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm a begginer in c++ with basic programming knowledge (not oop). I felt bored learning c++ so I decided to start a project then only I feel motivated to learn and work. What are your suggestions to me and how much should I need to know before starting to work on games like mario. And other than c++ and sdl2 what are the various tools should I know?

Advertisement

Sorryy for artificial intelligence tag.

Moving to For Beginners.

Just like any other creative project, you need to know “enough”.

While one approach is to first learn all the tools and technologies that are commonly used, it isn't the only approach. Another approach that might work better for you is to ask: what do I want to do that I cannot yet do?

Carefully consider what it is that you want to do, what are all the parts of the game you want to make, and ask yourself if you can do each one of those parts. If your game has scores, can you implement them? If your game has inventories, can you implement them? If your game has music, can you play it? If your game has graphics, can you draw it?

Whatever it requires, if you have the skills then stop asking and start doing. If you don't have the skills then work on gaining them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement