🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D skeletal animation "theory" and research

Started by
1 comment, last by 8Observer8 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any academic papers about 2D skeletal animation.

Baiscally i'm thinking about how you could fake 3D in the context of a 2D model but without necessarily hand drawing transformations of the sprites/vector art associated with each "bone" in the skeleton. I'm also interested in basically "cartoon optics" meaning I do not literally want to be able to fake projective geometry with 2D sprites because doing so defeats the purpose of not just using a 3D polygon-based model. I'm interested in heavily stylized art common in Midcentury animatiom, “UPA style animation”, and how it could be modeled in code .

Anyway my question is kind of hard to express because I don't really know what I'm looking for. I want to read work that has been done on automatic generation of heavily stylized animation without just altering how conventional polygon-based 3D models are rendered.

Advertisement

This video course uses Blender 2.7 to create rig and animations for 2D cartoon character: 2D Character Animation by 3dmotive - Blender

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement