🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

No local mesh transform when loading skinned mesh with assimp

Started by
0 comments, last by IvanNeves 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm trying to implement Skeletal Animation on my engine, but I think I understood the problems wrong or i'm having problems with assimp. I'm using collada files for my project.

See, when i import a non-skinned mesh, it gets loaded properly and i can apply the different meshes local transform to the object and everything works fine. Even with hierarchical mesh structure in the file.

Model loaded correctly

However, if the model has skinning data, with or without animations, the aiNode mTransformation is identity matrix for every mesh, giving me this weird result

Model if it has skin data

Maybe i got skinning concepts wrong, but wasn't the model supposed to be the same, and the bone offset matrix convert vertex from local space to bone space only? Does it mean animations won't work in the end because the meshes are all messed up? I'm trying to learn how to get skeletal animation working from here http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/www/tutorial38/tutorial38.html​ and if i understood correctly, the mesh shouldn't be like the 2nd picture. I'm really confused right now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement