🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this an acceptable way to abstract the pipeline stages in DirectX?

Started by
13 comments, last by ddlox 3 years, 7 months ago

VanillaSnake21 said:
The reason I went with per object approach is because it's so intuitive for me. I define individually what each object will look like by assigning a shader (see my answer above about how I handle shader creation) that will handle that particular look. The way I was thinking about it was like this: a shader is anologous to a material an object is made of and how that material behaves. So it was natural for me to kind of couple that with the actual object. It's a bit more unnatural for me to think of a material as like an effect that I apply first and then pass the objects, and then unapply the effect and render the next batch of objects. I was actually thinking of fixing the redundant states by some simple solution like grouping models by the shaders they use and keeping track if a shader was set already and just not setting it was set previously.

Yes it is no wonder you find it more intuitive that way. I doubt there's anybody who's first approach is not to go “per object”. However the intricacies of the hardware make it more complicated. Per material is the way to go as that is how you can get performance out of your pipeline. For example check out pseudocode for how the Unreal Engine 4.22 rendering does it. The per material strategy works:

foreach( camera )
{
    foreach( material )
    {
        set_shader();
        upload_material_parameters()
        foreach( instanced_objects with that material )
        {
            set_mesh();
            // already uploaded----upload_object_parameters()
            // no need to upload data, just tell gpu to render at some index
            render_instanced( instanced_objects.idx, instanced_objects.count ) 
        }
    }
}

None

Advertisement

… and if your cameras data have no direct dependency on the materials used then u can mod your render code like so:

// pseudo
    foreach( material )
    {
        set_shader();
        upload_material_parameters()

foreach( camera )
		{
       		foreach( instanced_objects with that material )
        	{
            	set_mesh();
            	// already uploaded----upload_object_parameters()
            	// no need to upload data, just tell gpu to render at some index
            	render_instanced( instanced_objects.idx, instanced_objects.count ) 
        	}
        }
    }
}

this form has the added benefit that u only set your materials shaders, etc… once for all cameras (however abovementioned pre-condition must apply)

Until then ?

@ddlox True. That's better.

None

you're welcome ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement