🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Name a feature any feature.

Started by
1 comment, last by Ranok 24 years, 5 months ago
I have taken many college level programming classes while I have attended the University of Kansas and one thing that I have learned is that you must analyse and design the layout of your program way before you even start. I have decided it is time that I implement a software package that is actually usefull, and know that I must do these two steps before I proceed. I have decided that I am doing to implement and Enhanced2D library using Direct3D and/or OpenGL for hardware acceleration. With this in mind I was curious as to what features should be incorperated into the library. That is, what should the library be able to accomplish. For your response, you can assume that I have infinite resources, infinite time, and (in theory at least) infinite knowlegde of how to go about implementing this. Therefore you can list any feature that you want added without worry of if I can implement it. The purpose of this is so that I can get an idea of how I should go about my design phase. This is what I have come up with in the last couple of minutes: 1). Screen Management. a). Enumeration. b). Device selection. c). Mode Selection. d). Viewport manipulation. e). Blitting 1). Support for alpha blending. 2). Support for rotations. 3). Support for scaling. 4). Support for colorkeys. f). Simple rendering functions. 1). Points. 2). Lines. 3). Rects. 4). Polygons. 5). Filled versions of 3 and 4 g). Rendering state functions. 1). Alpha blending (on/off). 2). Dithering (on/off). 3). Antialiasing (on/off). 4). Multiple texture stages for special effects? 5). Bumpmapping? (would this have an effect in 2D) 2). Surface (Texture) Management. a). Loading. 1). BMP 2). DDS 3). JPG 4). Others? b). Creation. c). Procedural Textures? Please reply if there is anything missing, or if something is wrong, or if you thing I am stupid, or for any other reason.
---Ranok---
Advertisement
The post was suppose to be in outline form, but apparently it takes out leading spaces before the line. So, sorry if the outline is a bit jumbled.
---Ranok---
Hmmm, sounds rather interesting. All of this is just coming of the top of my head, but I noticed you didn''t have any support for curves. Other than that, it seems rather complete for 2D.

I''m no expert on bumpmapping, but I don''t think it will do you anything in 2D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement