🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AMD GPU performance analysis tool for OPENGL

Started by
3 comments, last by Ed Welch 3 years, 7 months ago

Hi,

I've discovered a weird stutter problem that only happens on Vega iGPUs. Can anyone recommend a Windows 10 performance analysis tool that works for OpenGL, preferably that would be able to query the internal registers of the GPU.

Unfortunately, Radeon GPU Analyzer only supports Linux under OpenGL, so I would have to port my game to Linux before I can use it.

Advertisement

renderdoc.org

try this ?

Also, the assumption here is that the cause of the stutter is on the GPU side of the house. There are a multiple CPU side issue that will cause the driver to stall. Ex. creating textures in the rendering loop, large buffer uploads, data read back etc. The manifestation may be a hiccup in the frame time, but the initiator was CPU side code. Different drivers may mask/expose the issue especially when it comes to OpenGL. The issue may not be severe enough to notice on other GPU( discrete ), but that does not imply correctness. Unfortunately, the state of indepth OpenGL debugging tools that will give you

Ed Welch said:
query the internal registers of the GPU.

is pretty much nought. RenderDoc will give you frame rendering stats and draw call analysis include shader, texture usage, pipeline states etc. But there is no register level access etc. Overall its a pretty good tool to have in your debugging arsenal anyways.

Ok. Thanks for the answer.

The problem seems to have gone away after I installed a second DIMM in the laptop

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement