🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How Are Game Levels Designed For RPG Games?

Started by
4 comments, last by NexxusNex 3 years, 6 months ago

I was wondering if anyone know how game maps are created in today's top down/isometric games. For an example the game Path Of Exile, from what it looks like the maps are are in a isometric view but don't look to be like a tilemap. Do they happen to make the game in 3D then just position the camera to make it look isometric? I am in college learning game development and have always wondered how they achieved this look.

Advertisement

Since this question has nothing to do with Writing, it has been moved out of the Writing forum where it was placed.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

NexxusNex said:
I was wondering if anyone know how game maps are created in today's top down/isometric games.

There's more from one approach, it depends on what you want to achieve, and if you're woking on 2D or 3D.

For 2D, you generally use certains algorithms to sort the objects for drawing, so the objects that should be in the back or behind others are drawn first, an the other are drawn overlaping them. You can also use layers to separate different height levels or front and background areas. (see https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SvenDuval/20170919/305894/An_Interesting_Journey_in_Creating_a_2D_Isometric_Platformer.php​ ).

For 3D, you can use a orthographic camera, set it to some top down position, and rotate it 45 degrees to the side. Using a perspective camera, you would need to change the field of view, so it doesn't look distorted.

In both cases, especially 2D, the assets might need tweaks to look right. And many engines, especially 3D ones, make it easy to position the camera and change the view, so it's not a big challenge to set up.

NexxusNex said:
Do they happen to make the game in 3D then just position the camera to make it look isometric?

Yes, in case of Path of Exile, looks like exactly this is what they've done. From gameplay videos, the camera doesn't seem orthographic, but it works similarly. Kind like a top down camera rotated to the side.

@TerraSkilll thank you for enlightening me on how game companies achieve this look. Makes more sense now.

@Tom Sloper Sorry about that, thought I changed it to beginners but must of not changed it after all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement