🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where should a beginner start.

Started by
3 comments, last by kseh 3 years, 6 months ago

None of the tutorials say anything about this, if I wanted to make game where should one start so I wanted to make a discussion about it to help others and myself. I wanted to make a game that is mainly menu based thats about trade and economy, I drew my plans on paint and concluded gamemaker or unity were my options for the engines, the game is going to have 2d only graphics. I am sure about pretty much anything but just dont know where to start, do I start with the code or the sprites or something else, I am mostly a beginner but I know how all of the ui works and have knowledge of basic coding, I tried making game before but never finished one and mainly followed a tutorial but the type of game I am making has no tutorials for it. My question is where should I start? Thanks in advance. https://getappvalley.com/

Advertisement

ezqulgene95 said:

My question is where should I start? Thanks in advance.

a beginner should start at the beginning, so! Have u got a Computer Science Degree ? (respectfully asking)

if no, then get a CS degree first;

if yes, then get a Udemy course for game development;

if you jump the wagon, u'd better be good or yr game quality will tell,

all the best ?

@ezqulgene95

I would recommend you start by defining your project in as a Minimum Viable Product the bare minimum of what would make a playable version of your game. In Engineering when we say Minimum we mean MINIMUM. For you game this may be a console application with 3 goods that can be traded between the player and a market. The price of good will fluctuate based on the number the market possesses. The player may trade these goods in different quantities. Give yourself a week to complete this.

This is an very minimal version of your game. Once this is done and working you may want to add more markets. Each market with its own price adjustments. The player may now buy goods at one market and sell them at another. Give yourself another week to add markets with unique conditions. After this done you may want to create events. If an event happens at a market it causes the prices to change. Give yourself another week to add a dynamic event system.

The point is to identify the core minimum of what your game is and build it. Then plan and add functionality. Set time tables for completion. Just eat the elephant one bite at a time. You will know when it is time to add to your skill set for the purpose of improving the game. It will happen organically. This should help you get out of analysis paralysis. Don't work about what you don't know until you have exhausted what you can do with what you do know.

I hope this helps

Indie

None

For a project where you're just trying to learn a particular engine or language I would start with:

• Get something on the screen.
  • Get input from the player.
  • Provide feedback depending on the player's input.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement