🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting my game studio!

Started by
13 comments, last by MessiasOF 3 years, 5 months ago

Hello everyone! I'm an indie game developer with a dream to create a great game that everyone will enjoy playing! (Sounds simple, right?) Right now I'm on the stage of design the studio itself. Before even starting decorating and planning the studio, I decided to go to this forum for advice…

What equipments I need to buy for a small game development studio? (I'm not talking about software, that's the next step. Firstly, I need equipment.) I need a basic list of needs for the game developer.

So far I only have...

• Laptop : Lenovo Legion 5
  • Smartphone : Xiaomi Redmi 3S

And that's all... Not much, huh? That's why I came here! I need to know a checklist of equipment that I need to buy. Thanks for your help in advance!

Advertisement

Start with what you have.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

@fleabay But I think that's not enough... I have already created a budget. I just need a list of what to buy. What kind of equipment should be in the game studio?

First of all, you need a couple of beds and separate room. Because as far as I know from "Blood, Swear and Pixels", you are gonna work extremely hard to make exciting games))

Speaking seriously, you probably need a good PCs, a water dispenser, and place for physical warm-ups because most of the time you are gonna sit on chairs. And don't forget about comfortable chairs and a blackboard for your thoughts.

By the way, if you need a game designer and 3D artist, I will be glad to know more about your studio and maybe work with you in a nearest future.

MrBroccoli said:
I need to know a checklist of equipment that I need to buy.

It sounds like you're going to hire around twenty employees? And you'll be needing office space? Have you thought about where your employees will be parking?

Seriously, if it's just you, what @fleabay said. Just start making your first game. When you need something you don't have, order it.

If it's not twenty employees or just you, then we need to know more. Like how many people, what platform you're developing for, for starters.

Also, there will be no recruiting in this forum, the For Beginners forum. Recruiting (and volunteering) are permitted only in Hobby Project Classifieds.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Totally agree with you, @undefined . Thanks. I'll go to Hobby Project

@Rockwell_Rocks Thanks for help.

@Tom Sloper As I have mentioned, I'm an indie game developer. I don't have a team nor I'm planning to hire someone (at least in the near future). It's just me.

Tom Sloper said:
If it's not twenty employees or just you, then we need to know more. Like how many people, what platform you're developing for, for starters.

Additional Information : I'm interested in making 3D game based on the Unity engine.

Tom Sloper said:
Seriously, if it's just you, what @fleabay said. Just start making your first game. When you need something you don't have, order it.

I feel like this is not right. Starting such a serious business only with a laptop and smartphone. You have to be well prepared for that.

I already have a budget and space for the office. I just need an advice on what do I need to buy. How many monitors? Do I need to build more than 2 PC?

@mrbroccoli How do you think you'll be able to prepare well? Hopefully you're able to jump right in and develop once your equipment arrives. How's your C#?

A simple mid-end PC/Laptop and a single Monitor are enougth to run Unity. Everything else depends on your preferences and how YOU feel work best. I'm professional but still have only 1 Monitor because I'm familiar with managing all my stuff on a single Desktop, maybe you think it is usefull to have 2 but that's up to you in the end. Only get a faster PC if Unity slows down your development too much by high build/refresh stalls for example but except that, you can even run Unity on an old PC from 2007 using Windows XP!

Get a good keyboard and mouse is a must have regardless if you use a tower PC or Laptop.

I expect you to already thought of a desk and a chair to place your butt onto at least 8 hours a day/5 days a week did you?

The reason so many people are trying to become a “game dev” is that you don't need much more than your PC and Unity these days so don't care about anything else. I have been in startups several times and they always hadn't much more than a desk and a PC for every person.

@mrbroccoli , you still haven't said what platform you're developing for. What device(s) do your end users use? iPhones? PCs? Nintendo Switch? Playstation 5? Xbox X? (etc.) Newer Androids than your 4-year-old model? That's what “platform” means. And besides hardware, you need software.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement