🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

learning c++

Started by
4 comments, last by Shaarigan 3 years, 5 months ago

Is C++ really needed for 2d game development? Are the benefits of learning c++ for 4 to 5 year worth it or is it better to just learn something easier like C#.

sharing your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Alphabet said:

Is C++ really needed for 2d game development?

No, definitely not.

Alphabet said:

Are the benefits of learning c++ for 4 to 5 year worth it[?]

Yes. It can be. Viewed without any context here, it's often worth learning at least parts a new language just to broaden ones' horizon. If you're just starting out programming, pick a language that's easier to get started with.

Alphabet said:

is it better to just learn something easier like C#.

I'll say that many languages are better to learn than C++, if you're just starting out. Python, C#, Java, Basic…

@Alphabet C++ is only needed if you …. well …. plan to program in C++. That being said, it's worth learning if you are working on something that requires heavy computation and/or data manipulation outside of your game engine (assuming you're using one). Leaning C or C++ also gives you a better understanding of how computers work at a lower level. I use C++ for most everything outside of scripting tasks. That's mostly because I've used it for years and am most comfortable with it. But if C# does what you need it to, and you are comfortable with it, there is no reason to go to C++. Of course knowing C++ can be valuable if you are trying to get a job too.

C++ is really needed only if you plan to use something like Unreal Engine 4 (5 is coming soon). In this case you can use SFML to practice with C++ by creating 2D games. Or if you like C++ and you want to write games from scratch using OpenGL/Vulkan/DirectX/Metal for education or for writing your own 2D/3D game engines. There are some companies that make games on their own game engines and they are looking for programmers for developing they engines. That companies require that programmer had experiences of writing his own engines. For example, the 4A Games company: https://www.4a-games.com.mt/careers​ This company made the Metro game and key programmers made the S.T.A.L.K.E.R game engine - X-Ray.

Everything said but I would like to also point out that knowledge of another language, if it is one that also follows the same structure, gives some benefits of insight how a problem could be solved with a different base of tools. C# for example seems to be “easier” but it follows the same rules C++ has, even if there is a thick layer of user firendly beauty between you and the hard dirty code on the ground. You can use pointers as well in C# or access the unmanaged heap memory, you can even use some C/C++ only functions if you DLLImport them

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement