🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[Non-Paid] - Vivid3D - C# engine and tool chain. Looking for another C#/C++ coder

Started by
3 comments, last by Shaarigan 3 years, 2 months ago

This is an engine and editor (Like unrealED or unity3d) that is wrote in C++ and C#. Mostly C# but some core components are wrote in C++. I am the lead developer/designer of the engine, and am hoping to eventually profit via crowd funding(Such as patreon) - Since it will be crowd funded, I am making the engine open source.

Here is the current code base, on GitLab.

https://gitlab.com/vivid-research/vivid3dsharp

If the engine does start to be funded via public funding, there will be a split of profits with anyone joining the project.

Thanks.

You may contact me at mailto:antonyrobwells@gmail.com

Thanks, Antony.

Advertisement

AntRWells said:
unrealED or unity3d

Simple question, what is your USP, what concept makes your engine a choice for people in decision between Unreal, Unity, Godot and your software?

There are way too far engines out there, few get funded, i do not see the reason to put money and time into en engine when there is Unreal , Unity, and gd knows what out there. I think you should create a game featuring your engine, nobody will help you.

Programmer71 said:
nobody will help you

This is a maybe true but bad statement!

It should rather be “Nobody will help you now without giving more details about your concept, some screenshots or a video of how it performs”.

@antrwells I guess because everbody makes an engine (and I already took a look at your code, Thread.Sleep(1) in a loop, really?) you could consider to colaborate with an existing engine project rather than try to find people that will work on yours for free without a yet known direction.

Our “engine's” USP for example is to be high modular, so you only get what you want and it fits into your workflow rather than you having to adapt your workflow to it. Also we're on to make it accessable as much as possible to impaired people by support for screen reader software.

AntRWells said:
Since it will be crowd funded, I am making the engine open source

If decide to turn it into a closed source project once the funding is done, this won't draw a good picture onto you. Open Source is the way to go for todays software, Unreal is open source and Unity is also partially open source. It is a matter of licensing it but there are ways to solve that as well.

Our project is licensed via AGPLv3 and an Exception that grands us the right to also publish compiled binaries under a different license. This way you are somehow protected against code pirates because the license doesn't permit to embedd the code into closed source projects but you can ship compiled binaries to allow people to make games with it without the need to fully publish their source as well

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement