🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this type of RTS possible? (polygon count)

Started by
47 comments, last by Newgamemodder 3 years, 2 months ago

Hi Gamedev!

I've regularily visited your website in the last couple of days and i thought i'd finally register to ask my question.

I'm a game modder not a dev. I have a question about game engines in general. Please bare in mind that i'm a modder so just want to point out how it would be if the engine could handle it, not what the game devs have to do to make it run on standard components.

Could an RTS game engine support 10-12 Billion polygons on screen at once (i've multiplied millions of tris x fps), or is that impossible in general?

I've read that drawcells are more important that polygon count. Lets say that there are between 2k-3k units on screen at once.

If it's possible which components would be needed to run it?, RTX 3080, 3090?

Really hope you can help me! ?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Hello, and welcome!

Running millions of triangles per frame is not a problem for game engines today (I'm using scenes with complexity of millions of triangles in my own game engine for years, without any problem even on lower end hardware today).

Having thousands of units on screen at once is definitely possible - you would do it through instancing (to reduce amount of draw calls). I believe older games like Battle for Middle Earth, entire Total War series and such are capable of it for years.

If I may ask - what kind of game did you have in mind?

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Hi Vilem ?

It's maybe for a game in the future, can't say which because i don't know if it will be released ?

I know millions are possible but what about billions? ?

@Newgamemodder A back of the envelope calculation puts the memory requirement for 10 billion tris in the hundreds of billions minimum, so that sounds like it's pushing it a bit even if the hardware was fast enough. What are we really talking about though? Is this the requirement to build your whole world, or do they really need to be loaded on screen at the same time. You can do a lot with LOD algorithms if you are just talking about world size.

Newgamemodder said:
I know millions are possible but what about billions?

I'd say it makes no sense to have billions of triangles as long as we have only millions of pixels on screen. ; )

So what we need is a level of detail system to scale detail down so it matches screen resolution.

Also, on current GPUs it's not efficient to have triangles at pixel size, as they process 2x2 blocks of pixels per triangle. So either we want larger triangles than that, or we want to replace HW triangle rasterization with some compute solution like Dreams or UE5 have shown.

Forgot to add my billions are without shadows :O But the number i counted is with the maximum LODS and a worse case scenario.

This is counting everything including props and such. The only thing i didn't include is the polygon count of the “ground”

EDIT: is polygon count measured by:

Number of polygons on screen x fps?

I'm just very confused,

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-rtx-series-3x-faster-in-mesh-shading-in-vulkan-rtx2080-handles-20-billion-triangles-second/

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/25z8pm/eli5_how_do_video_game_graphics_get_better_over/

Or are these just theoretical numbers?

Polygon count is normally intended per frame, since it is a measure of workload. Of course at higher FPS you have less time to render the same stuff, but it's implicit that either the end user can choose between more detail and more FPS or you limit detail conservatively so that a reasonable computer (or a certain console) doesn't have trouble with your fixed choice of details and frame rate.

You obviously need a LOD system; how many units do you have? How many are visible at the same time? Are they similar enough to each other to allow instancing, or even rendering sprites instead of large meshes? What about terrain LOD?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

All units except their bodies are counted in my calculations ?

What about the 2 links i posted?, are they just theoretical? or is it proof that my modding idea might work?

Ultimate Battle Simulator 2 can do 1 million characters on screen, they claim.

Drone Swarm can do 32k.

It really and mostly depends on which game you want to mod, but you can assume: You can't do much more than the original game has shown. Most games don't try to push such numbers insanely high, because increasing numbers means compromises, and does not guarantee to increase the fun.

ok so not counting dead bodies that lie around for a while nor props or buildings/turrets. Only “Alive units”.

It's about 2800, about 80 of those 2800 are individual units. The rest are split into “squads of 3x3” units. 200 of those 2800 are grouped into 20 squads of 5 units in each.

So 80 are individual units

200 are 20x5 squads

2520 are 3x3 squads

What should i do about the 2 links i posted that mention high polygon counts. Ill summarize them here:

Link 1 (dunno which software):

In a particular scene that has 100 Happy Buddhas (1 Buddha is 1.087 million triangles) traditional raster takes 17.2 ms on a non-Ti RTX2080. The RTX code from his stream though, with some performance fixes and tweaks, renders the same scene in 6.3 ms which is almost 3X faster.

Link 2:

The Radeon HD 7850 in the PlayStation 4, a mid-range gaming graphics card today, is capable of processing about 27 billion pixels per second and about 55 billion polygons per second. The GeForce 7800 in the PlayStation 3 could handle about 6 billion pixels and 8 billion polygons- quite a large difference.

Also which objects to i need to multiply by 60 (fps)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement