🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Writer looking for a team

Started by
2 comments, last by Shaarigan 3 years ago

I am new to GameDev.net so I'm not sure I'm putting this in the right place. Also any tips on utilizing the Portfolios or Careers portions of this site would be much appreciated.

This is broken into sections, so just skip to whatever sections are important to you. I'll do my best to keep each short. This is meant to start a conversation, not be the complete story of me. Contact me for writing samples.

Credentials/Background

A lifetime ago (after high school) I entered the Full Sail program for game design and development. I loved the design and story aspects of the curriculum, but the C++ parts of the course, not so much. It turns out programming is hard. I built upon my interest in writing at Missouri State University, where I earned my degree in Media Studies, with minors in Screenwriting and Creative Writing. After graduating I spent four years in Los Angeles pursuing a screenwriting career. Finally I moved to the east coast to start a family and pursue a more traditional (stable) career path. For the most part that's been great, except for being totally creatively unfulfilled. So here I am.

In total I've made about ten short indie/student films. I've written at least fifty screenplays, teleplays, pilots, treatments, pitches, and short stories (and several game design documents, just for fun). I've also written critiques for hundreds of works by other writers, including doing script coverage for a major management company in L.A.

What I Bring to the Table

I was a gamer long before I was a writer, so while I might not have much experience specifically writing for games, my writing has always been heavily influenced by games, and I inherently understand the format of writing for games better than most writers probably would. I consider myself an idea machine, as I'm always thinking of new characters, new scenes, new worlds. I also consider myself a collaborator, as I'm quick to immerse myself in someone else's world and see new places to take it, while not losing sight of the original vision.

What I'm Looking For

More than anything else I'd like to find a developer, team, or studio with a record of completing projects. If possible, I'd also like a chance to contribute to the game design process. I guess that's it. Also credit for my contribution to the game, though I would hope that'd go without saying.

Interests

I'm open to at least considering almost anything. Generally though I'm not as interested in 2D platformers or interactive novels. I am especially interested in tactics/strategy games, new/indie genres, genre hybrids, genres beginning in "rogue," mobile games.

I am currently looking to join a project that needs a writer! I have around a decade of writing experience, including four years working in the film industry in Los Angeles. See my bio for more info. You can also DM for writing samples, or for any other reason you feel like.

Advertisement

KevlarGolem said:
I am new to GameDev.net so I'm not sure I'm putting this in the right place.

You didn't, but it's in the right place now. You are looking for a team, and the place for that is Hobby Project Classifieds.

KevlarGolem said:
Also any tips on utilizing the Portfolios or Careers portions of this site would be much appreciated.

Feel free to post career questions in the Careers board.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

KevlarGolem said:
More than anything else I'd like to find a developer, team, or studio with a record of completing projects. If possible, I'd also like a chance to contribute to the game design process

I've send ya a message

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement