🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Gamespy Technology

Started by
0 comments, last by DNA 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi all - I hope Im not asking a tedious question here, but I was wondering if anyone had any clues as to how the "GameSpy" program works. I have done a search on the forums hosted at Gamedev, but not seen any info as yet. The game Im particularly interested in working with is "Soldier of Fortune". I realise that there must be a cerntral server somewhere that can be queried on the games (and other informtaion) available. I also realise that Gamespy runs the DNS servers (or registration servers )for the game, but this has not always been the case (it used to be WON) so I cant see its becuase they have privy information. Any pointers or info anyone can give would be much appreciated. Cheers..
Advertisement
GameSpy has custom software to to manage the creation of games and then tells the client which game to launch with what parameters.
DP has stuff to deal with this (lobbying), so GameSpy probably uses that when a game supports it.

I''m not sure "Soldier of Fortune" works, but Quake servers report to master servers, and if you setup your server to report to the gamespy master quake server, it shows up in the list.

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement