🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone wanna help me make a game no experience

Started by
4 comments, last by AlphaSilverback 2 years, 7 months ago

Have a few ideals for games but need help with making I dont have a computer but if someone could help on a side project when they can would help to have a video to start a Kickstarter

Advertisement

Ideas are a dime at dozen, you do not have a computer and want to make games, you want to start a kickstarter only with an idea, that wouldn't work. I have seen finished projects on kickstarter which didn't go anywhere. Try to get a computer , public universities have computer for students, buy a used pc, borrow from a friend an unused laptop. Start to study computer science and see for yourself that its not that easy to win big

If you have no experience, then go get some experience. Do this before try to build a team, because nobody wants a dead-weight team member, much less a dead-weight team leader.

tough love , but we all need it , correct ? , now go start some coding

To get into game development, you have to bring some value to the table. If you want to build games yourself, these are the things you need to learn:

* Programming in preferably a C type language (C++ or C# are the way to go today)
* An understanding of real-time engines and how they differ from i.e. event-based systems, like web-pages.
* Linear algebra and calculus. You need an understanding of vectors and how graphics are calculated on a computer.
* Some beginners courses in algorithms and data structures.
* At least a beginners course on shaders, so you know just the tiniest amount of how a computer draws geometry to the monitor/output rendering unit.
* Some beginners courses in making 3D and 2D graphics. Even though you might just want to build the software, having insight into the problems that game artists face will give you a common language and terminology.

I have been a VR/AR/real-time software developer for 10 years now and built maybe 10 demo games in my spare time. Taking the time to learn the above listed skills early is necessary to become a good game developer.

If you don't know where to begin, I would recommend you look at something like https://courses.gameinstitute.com/.

Alpha Silverback

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement