🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Favorite Childhood Game?

Started by
25 comments, last by mariusz111 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow… Someone mentioned “Stunts” and that takes me back, instantly! Making your own tracks (always cities), and beating Bernie on it… :D

But, my all-time favourites remain: Sim City, and Sim City 2000!

Advertisement

PouyaCat said:

Wow… Someone mentioned “Stunts” and that takes me back, instantly! Making your own tracks (always cities), and beating Bernie on it… :D

But, my all-time favourites remain: Sim City, and Sim City 2000!

yeah, that was a real game indeed! tiny size to fit on a 1.44 floppy, fluid 3d rendering algorithm even 486 and 386, near instant loading times, built in track editor, good controls and camera, and weeks of fun. modern games could take it as an example, before they use some joke WASD flyby “game engine” to script something that takes 17 days to download with a rural internet connection :D.

Strider, Thexder, King's Quest IV. I'm officially old. I also played Stunts. ?

Played Stunts on Amiga too. Though, that was quite chunky. Someone showed a nice remake here on the site.
But that's over now for me.
Thanks to @fleabay i've learned watching lets plays on YT is indeed more fun than playing modern games!
I'm shocked. But this angry nerd guy is fun and damn accurate:

Don't forget that back in the day, lots of people had only the 486SX chip, without the math coprocessor. So, even on these piece of junk computers, Stunts ran fluidly, like you say.

taby said:
Don't forget that back in the day, lots of people had only the 486SX chip, without the math coprocessor.

Pretty sure they used fixed point integer math, so FPU would not help it.
On Amiga that was like 10 fps. I was still excited about 3D polygons non the less. But there were only racing and flight sim games.
I remember some first person 3D adventures on PC. No textures yet, with shitty collision detection, and barely playable. But interesting. Seems totally forgotten now below the shadow of Doom.

Edit: Searched for it. Maybe what i remember was this, or something similar. Very ambitious stuff.

Perhaps.

I do know that Doom ran faster on a 386DX33 than on a 486SX25. We all had Doom. ?

Stunts on a 386 ran like a charm!

Although, since I'm riding the memory train anyway… I also have to think back to Aces over Europe. Alright, a bit chunkier as it was on three floppydisks (if I recall correctly), but at lot of my knowledge about WW2 fighter planes came from that game.

Old games were truly a work of art, to get so much efficiency out of so little storage and processing power <3

The Dark Heart of Uukrul

Ultima 6

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement