🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A question about adding tournament features to Hearthstone

Started by
0 comments, last by Jimakoma 2 years, 7 months ago

Hello,

Haven't posted in a long time. For the past 4 months I have been collaborating with an upcoming Norwegian e-sport gaming site called 121gameon (it won't allow me to link page but you're free to check them out on your own). I was to find viable tournament formats to draw in extra customers and they liked very much what I already had to showcase and therefor I sort of “got the job” to start with Hearthstone and then move to CS: GO also. I say sort of “got the job” because I am currently not getting payed but I'm under a deal where to if I form a player base community, I will get paid in conjunction of how the community numbers grow. It is some descent money to start with and it can grow up to a very good monthly salary although I'd prefer not to talk about the numbers in public.

The issue that such e-sports sites are dealing with is the fact that the players have to register and then follow each tournament's rules without any visual environment supporting it. For example to play in my tournament, players must register to the 121gameon site, then link their 121gameon account to their blizzard's account and then join a tournament that opens a specific day and time. Once they start playing with their opponent there is no program or code supporting the rules of the current tournament! This means that they can do whatever they want and this ruins the tournament experience for everyone.

So I got some questions for you who have the experience on such things because I'm just a tournament organizer!

1 - Is it possible for someone to modify, clone or manipulate in any way Hearthstone to adjust it to a tournament's rules of play? Here follow some examples,

• To add: the first to win two matches qualifies to the next round (best of three)
  • To add: each match won, awards the winner with one point (leagues and point systems)
  • Class Master tournament allows for players of the same class to compete with each other (prevent players to use a different class)

2 - If this is possible, is it considered hacking and there for an illegal action? Keep in mind that it does not manipulates or alters the core of the game in a very bad way, if I could say that, it just creates different winning conditions and such peripheral things in order to secure the tournament's rules of play by also providing a gaming environment for the player to navigate in.

3 - If this is possible and can be done in any way, would you consider collaborating with me? I could put myself second and allow you my income if we reach our goal until you get the money we agreed upon.

I believe that such add on would help me a lot because it could keep statistics, maintain the fair play and also maybe provide a beautiful environment for the player to explore and have a pleasant stay.

I hope I'm not too far out from the forum's theme and I also hope I did not offend anyone without knowing! Looking forward for your replies. Thank you.

Once there was a reason for doing anything. Now it seems we have forgotten it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement