🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help me with starting developing game

Started by
2 comments, last by Ultraporing 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey, I am planning to make my first Android game for a long time. I have some coding expirience from collage and big motivation to do this.

Where from or how can I learn everything I need to develop Android game and post it on google play.

So far I have only idea on paper, how to start, what are my next steps?

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement

To develop an Android game you need to either develop on the platform, or you need tool that can target the platform. You'll also need some devices.

Two options are common. That might mean using Android Studio, finding suitable libraries, and putting everything together yourself. Or it might mean getting a game engine like Unreal or Unity that has options to target Android, and using those.

If your goal is to make everything yourself or to learn how to program, you might go the first route you'll be spending your time working on system programming tasks, and you can make whatever is within your abilities. It's a lot of work before you produce something that looks like a game, but you'll be in control of everything. The end result will likely be a native Android game using all their UI elements, good for simple games.

If your goal isn't to program all the pieces but to make a game quickly, go the second route of an engine that targets the device. You'll be spending your time doing more design tasks and relatively little programming at first, and as you follow tutorials you'll start doing your own original development beyond what the tutorials offer. The end result will likely look more like what you expect in a game, most likely.

You might also consider waiting on the phone for now and instead focus on developing games for the computer. Developing for a phone or other device is more difficult than developing targeting your own computer. There are more steps involved in deploying, launching, debugging, and otherwise using a remote device than there are when using a native device. You can certainly do it, but it is often easier to learn with fewer steps in your workflow.

Also, if you haven't already, read this.

frob said:

To develop an Android game you need to either develop on the platform, or you need tool that can target the platform. You'll also need some devices.

Two options are common. That might mean using Android Studio, finding suitable libraries, and putting everything together yourself. Or it might mean getting a game engine like Unreal or Unity that has options to target Android, and using those.

If your goal is to make everything yourself or to learn how to program, you might go the first route you'll be spending your time working on system programming tasks, and you can make whatever is within your abilities. It's a lot of work before you produce something that looks like a game, but you'll be in control of everything. The end result will likely be a native Android game using all their UI elements, good for simple games.

If your goal isn't to program all the pieces but to make a game quickly, go the second route of an engine that targets the device. You'll be spending your time doing more design tasks and relatively little programming at first, and as you follow tutorials you'll start doing your own original development beyond what the tutorials offer. The end result will likely look more like what you expect in a game, most likely.

You might also consider waiting on the phone for now and instead focus on developing games for the computer. Developing for a phone or other device is more difficult than developing targeting your own computer. There are more steps involved in deploying, launching, debugging, and otherwise using a remote device than there are when using a native device. You can certainly do it, but it is often easier to learn with fewer steps in your workflow.

Also, if you haven't already, read this.

Pretty much a perfect answer, I just like to add that he can also target an emulated device on his Computer if it must be an Android game and does not have any devices at hand. This is supported by all IDEs I know of which support Android deployment and Tutorials on how to setup an Emulated Android device are plentiful.

“It's a cruel and random world, but the chaos is all so beautiful.”
― Hiromu Arakawa

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement