🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Games that support screen readers

Started by
14 comments, last by paulscott 1 year, 7 months ago

I think the menu sounds might be possible in RPGMaker XP (which is the only version of RPGMaker that I ever looked at) using Ruby scripting. It's not going to be easy, but it just might be possible.

The main alternative option would be to use a general-purpose game engine like Godot (or Unity or Unreal, but Godot is free and the others are not). This would make it easier to attach sounds to menu items, but would make everything else harder because there is less out-of-the-box functionality.

Advertisement

a light breeze said:
The main alternative option would be to use a general-purpose game engine like Godot (or Unity or Unreal, but Godot is free and the others are not).

Let me add mention of Panda3D (the engine that I use) as another free option.

It is worth noting, however, that it's not an editor-centric engine, but rather a code-centric one. That said, there are a few promising-looking editors being developed by the engine's community, I think.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

@a light breeze@Thaumaturge Thank you both for your attention and advice. Next semester I will focus on learning about the subject in order to start a project involving games, I hope it works out.

Fair enough, and good luck in both your studies and your projects! ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

In my game, I had two players completely blind. They used special programs to read the text. For them, first of all, the biggest obstacle is usually navigation in games. While in my case the entire game is text-based, navigation does not work in text-reading programs. From myself, I will say that a blind person in the case of game production is very helpful.

I make football manager online! Footballtopmanager

You could glance at the MUD AlterAeon, they've been around quite a while and are explicitly designed to be screen reader compatible. Also names a few of the people that took on responsibilities for the client.

https://www.alteraeon.com/blind_support.html

It might not seem to be exactly what you wanted, though that client is also made to work very well with the partially blind and people who aren't blind. Has a better than average graphical hint system as well.

Also worth noting that their tools are actually used if you look at user graphs http://alteraeon.com:8080/graphs/17

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement