🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What`s left

Started by
66 comments, last by Calin 1 year, 11 months ago

Calin said:
Sounds more like an excuse than the actual reason

Sorry for using incomplete phrasing that leaves space for interpretation.

fleabay said:
Most of them are just a click away. Go ahead, chitchat in the GameDev.net Discord!

I personally don`t like chat rooms/servers. It could be that some of the discussions moved over to Discord, I`m not going to start to debate that. However this place still feels deserted compared to its thriving past.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement

Calin said:
this place still feels deserted compared to its thriving past.

I could easily blame certain types (even name names) here for the final nail in the coffin but the moderation failed to keep topics sane and allowed an “anything goes” mentality.

Some might say some of my harsh, abrasive posts help contribute, but alas I am just a symptom. I tried to get gamedev.net to go see a doctor but I was ignored. Now it's dead Jim.

So for me, gamedev.net is now a place to go just to see what the abandoned asylum patients are talking about and to stare in wonder, shake my head, and give a little feedback to keep the wheel turning. I get some enjoyment out of my otherwise mundane day.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

fleabay said:
So for me, gamedev.net is now a place to go just to see what the abandoned asylum patients are talking about and to stare in wonder, shake my head, and give a little feedback to keep the wheel turning. I get some enjoyment out of my otherwise mundane day.

It is a joy for us to make your life so much better.

JoeJ said:
Haha, that's actually a bad argument,

I know U engines are cutting edge and ready to cope with professional development demands, not placing that under question.

JoeJ said:
Regarding smooth experience, it seems out of the box character controllers are

Obviously a bug free experience is the starting point, bug free and feature rich (animation controllers and everything else) at the same time would make the ideal.

those are harsh words fleabay

allowed an “anything goes” mentality

It makes me feel bad when you say I don`t meet the minimum required standards. I think most of the things I said bear at least some relevance to the issues brought into discussion. I`m aware the things I come up with don`t match with what a game developer expert would usually say in this or that situation. I`m not making claims I`m an expert. I`m not the most low key person on the site but most of my recent activity is in my corner/blog, away from the most exposed, visible places. I`m trying to stay within the rules. I`m trying to make a positive contribution to this site. I don`t know what else to say.

Calin said:
It makes me feel bad that I didn`t meet your standards.

The fact that "Programming an OS with Assembly by a guy that doesn't know assembly" was listed at the top of the gamedev forum for weeks is mind blowing.

But that's not on you. It doesn't say anything about you. (or the other participants) It speaks to the moderation of this game development site.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Calin said:
I know U engines are cutting edge and ready to cope with professional development demands, not placing that under question.

Some of their stuff is cutting edge, but not all. Lumen is clearly bleeding edge, meaning it's too costly for the benefit. IK isn't cutting edge at all. That's just my impression. Others criticize engine architecture to be still heavily single threaded and not up to date.

Imo you should question their (and any other) standard, constantly.

If you don't, you become a victim of brainwash, faults of capitalism, and sycophancy driven mind control! /:O\

Seriously: To define ‘standards’, we currently look at the consensus of multiple companies, competing in raising those standards.
Now we see a decrease in tech competition, with more and more companies announcing to replace their tech with Epics. (This also already happened in PS3 era, but not so much in PS4 era, afaict)
Thus the current definition of standards is no stable measure. It's skewed by the dominance of Epic, causing praise and hype driven even from (former) competitors.
Extrapolating this to the future, Epic alone defines the standard, and decides in which direction to progress further, or not.

Obviously we don't want this. No more need for gamedev.net, because as you said: It's all there already. End of the journey. Game done, but also game over.

Calin said:
Obviously a bug free experience is the starting point, bug free and feature rich (animation controllers and everything else) at the same time would make the ideal.

Disagree to this as well.

We can't have a bug free experience, because we constantly improve our technology.

If you want a bug free exp., you are fine with a stagnating standard. The connection may not be obvious, but it is there.

fleabay said:
The fact that"Programming an OS with Assembly by a guy that doesn't know assembly" was listed at the top of the gamedev forum for weeks is mind blowing.

You still don't understand how entertainment business works.

Even you are entertained yourself the most of all.

JoeJ said:
If you don't, you become a victim of brainwash, faults of capitalism, and sycophancy driven mind control!

The World of Internet is full of pit falls, you never know what`s wrapped inside a game engine producer.

JoeJ said:
Imo you should question their (and any other) standard, constantly. If you don't, you become a victim of brainwash, faults of capitalism, and sycophancy driven mind control! /:O\

Are you serious? While I agree that as a customer (developer or not) you shouldn`t take for good anything that an entity driven by commercial motivations tells you, saying that Unreal game engine producers are trying to brainwash you is an exaggeration. “sycophancy driven mind control” what are you talking about? I have a difficult time guessing if that`s a serious tone or not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement