🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[Hobby] Looking for Game Designer to start a small project

Started by
4 comments, last by Calin 1 year, 11 months ago

Hi there! We are looking for someone to fill the position of Game Designer in our soon-to-be team of hobbyists.

The idea is to start small by making a simple game with a tight gameplay loop and non-complex mechanics. Then we could consider taking on a more ambitious project if we can succeed in making a simple one first.

A bit about myself

I'm a 25 years old developer by trade, I have a master's degree from a Computer Science School in Paris, France and have been working as a web/software/3D developer for 6 years (including 4 years as an intern during my studies). As you might have guessed, I will take on the role of Programmer for our project.

• I contribute in my spare time to the AzerothCore project, an open-source game server application for World of Warcraft.
  • I worked as a gameplay and network programmer on a school project: Shooter Trooper, a mobile game in which you manage troops and lead them through strategic battles.
  • Various personal projects, here is a link to my GitHub page if you're interested in taking a peek at them: https://github.com/r-o-b-o-t-o

About the other team member

She has been working as a Lead VFX Artist in the video game industry for 4 years, and will be taking on the position of Graphics Artist in the team.

• She has worked as a VFX Artist on many industry projects, including multiple AAA games.
  • She worked on the art for RoomBattle, a GlobalGameJam 2021 entry.

The project

We don't really have any specific ideas set in stone for now, but we know that we would like to keep it as simple as possible for our first undertaking.

Ideally, we would make a game with simple yet fun mechanics. We thought of Tanknarok as a good example, it has a short but engaging gameplay loop, and the mechanics are really simple but the game gets more depth through its content (weapons, maps, game modes...)

Our game can either be in pixel-art 2D or simple low-poly 3D, depending on the concept we choose.

If you already have an idea that would fit these criteria, you are welcome to pitch it to us ?. Otherwise we can brainstorm ideas together.

Who we are looking for

We are looking for someone to handle the game design, which would include mostly these tasks:

• Writing a complete Game Design Document​
  • Doing playtests to give feedback about how the game plays and feels, to ensure that it is in accordance with the original design
  • Possibly level-design, depending on the type of game we end up making

We ask for decent English writing skills. We are both not native English speakers so it's fine if you are not either, but since you will be writing documents on which we will base our work, it would be best that you have fairly reasonable English writing skills.

Being an industry professional or having past projects is not necessary at all but are sure welcome. It is fine if you have no experience but are willing to put the energy into learning and getting better as we go. Do feel free to link projects you worked on if you have any, however.

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me via private message here or through Discord: Roboto#9185

None

Advertisement

I have few bits of ideas.

Im a programmer and also an artist. I recently started up with learning unity. I had previously learnt to use blender for 3d modelling and also i use inkscape and krita for 2d art.

I am also passionate about making my own dream games.

I had a lot of cool ideas for my games and i also started making them.i spent a lot of time coding and also making game assets. But at some point as the game went growing and many times i couldn't solve certain problems in the code, i had to stop the project and start with new one. I understood that I'm not able to even publish one game because I'm trying for a big project as my first attempt. I have to start with simple games and then go ahead. But i feel that i need to work together in a team to be able to learn better.

Thats my story.

I desire to start from somewhere. I do my hobby during free time. So if you think i can contribute anything i would love to be a part of it.

My ideas -

1)A simple game mechanics like rock paper scissors - but instead of rock , paper and scissors, let's use monsters of 3 different types - fire, water and grass. Each have their own weakness and strength against others. We can make this as a card game. Where each win awards more cards to upgrade and evolve the monsters. Etc …

Roboto said:
fill the position of Game Designer in our soon-to-be team

fill the position is usually used when it`s about taking a place in an established team and the position to be occupied is payed.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

What's fill the position? Is there any link to it

Pravi51 said:

What's fill the position? Is there any link to it

fill the position means getting hired for that type of work.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement