🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice on soundfonts? Please Help…

Started by
1 comment, last by Bana 22 years, 6 months ago
I have searched everywhere but cannot find high quality soundfonts to use for my music… I have composed several promising themes for use in a game we are planning, but the soundfonts I am using are just not at the level I would like. Can someone please recommend a place to find quality soundfonts, or maybe a way to make music using higher quality sounds? I mostly had symphonic instruments in mind, but anything high quality will do fine. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
Good samples and Soundfonts are pretty expensive. they can run from 300 to 4000 dollars especially for high quality symphonic instruments... EMU, Roland, Spectrasonics, Virtous have excellent sample libraries. EMU in particular has a nice line of SoundFonts... worth checking out. Save up, and buy them.

well, have you looked at hammersound.net? it has the best collection of free SoundFonts I've ever seen, and they're user rated, so you have some clue as to what you're getting.

nothing on there compares with the best commercial Soundfonts. but the best commercial ones cost you roughly as much as brand spanking new, high-quality synth anyway. i've heard several commercial soundfonts in the $400.00 range that sound sick next to the best (free) ones @ hammersound.

heh- i know i sound like a shill for the site, but i just want to make sure you check out the site if you haven't. and yeah, if you've already checked it out, or the best ones there aren't up to snuff. . .wow. . .then you have some serious investing to do

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

-EDIT- at the same time, i totally agree w. digitaldirt, tho'. the highest quality commercial SoundFonts are worth it, but are not w.in the budget of your average just-starting-out musician. i'd also say that you don't absolutely *need* that quality of software to make quality game soundtracks. some of the best music's been made under less than ideal conditions, and some of the worst in twenty million dollar studios. . .

and just a thought- if you have the pieces composed, then depending on their complexity, you might be able to get a local orchestra to play it for less than you think most of them play quite well (and alot more convincingly than any MIDIfied-orchestra ) and they almost always need $$$ :]

Edited by - Anonymous Poster. on December 19, 2001 8:57:39 PM
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement