🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is the best resource to learn how RUDP based game server works ( like step by step)

Started by
2 comments, last by lewis4 1 year, 8 months ago

Hello all
I like to learn in deep how do RUDP in game servers context are working , like step by step
Internal and external . are there any good books or something else ? if none
maybe simple open source lib i can debug and understand ( no matter the programming language ) ץ
i do it with Enet and its very hard to understand .
Thanks

Advertisement

I have no idea what “RDPU” means, so I can't help you, sorry.

That being said – you have the source for ENet, which is a network library on top of UDP, used by both clients and servers. It does the things that game servers and clients will need to do, so any other library will be similar in complexity.

If you had a more specific question ("what does the SO_LINGER option do?") or at least area of question ("how can the receiving end know how to unpack the data the sending end sent?") then I'm sure people on the forum could give a better answer.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

I am guessing you mean Reliable User Datagram Protocol, which is not a standard and basically “implement parts of other protocols that we want, but not all of it”.

There are plenty of ways to implement reliable communication over UDP, and major libraries (including ENet) provide reliable channels as part of their protocols. The Transport layer is only one of many that systems use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement