🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL 4 C++ project needs voxel art

Started by
29 comments, last by taby 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm working at upgrading my OpenGL 4 renderer code, and I need some voxel characters made. They need to be 32x32x32 (or less). Right now I'm using the chr_knight file from MagicaVoxel. It's a great file, but I think that we need our own characters.

I have no cash to pay for the work. It's all open source. Up next is texture projection, to shine a reticle onto the ground.

Right now the renderer supports a variable number of lights, as well as reflections. A screenshot of the renderer in action is:

Advertisement

I'm still experimenting with my voxel art. . . But, if I create some cool characters in that process, I'd be happy to let you use them.

Is there any particular genre you wanted to focus on (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc) ?

Pretty much fantasy, like knights and magicians kind of deal would be great! If that's not your style, then I'll take whatever I can get. ?

I had a bit of extra time today, and put a fantasy type monster together. The 32X32X32 thing is an interesting limitation, but I'm doing the best I can with it. Here are my results so far. . . (let me know if I'm on the right track)

That looks deadly awesome.

The 32x32x32 limitation is not necessarily set in stone. Do you think that 64 tall x 32 wide x 32 deep would be better?

yes you’re definitely on the right track!!

It is good to hear that I'm on the right track! :-)

And I wouldn't worry too much about increasing the resolution---unless you really want to do so.

It sounded like you wanted to go for a more cartoony look, and having the lower res models will probably help to promote that esthetic.

You are correct, sir. ok let’s keep it at 32x32x32. ?

p.S. my email address is sjhalayka@gmail.com

I re-enabled line drawing. I also implemented 4K font data. As you can see, I am desperate for a 4K font, because this one is not too spectacular. I found this low-res font somewhere, but I can't remember from where… anyway, I used a BMP to SVG service and exported it to a 4096x4096 font sheet.

@taby I made some final modifications to the creature, and sent it on its way to you.

Thanks so much. Here we are. I really appreciate your hard work. Just don't run yourself ragged on it. ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement