🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL 4 C++ project needs voxel art

Started by
29 comments, last by taby 1 year, 7 months ago

@taby : OK, 24X24X24 it is!

That is more of a challenge, but I like challenges! :-D

Advertisement

Ok. Don’t shoot me, but.. maybe make them the same size as the chr_knight.vox file that comes with MagicaVoxel. That‘s the perfect size, I think.

@taby No problem.

That knight is 20X21X20, I'll re-scale to that size.

Right on. Thanks for humouring me. ?

It is important that these things get made to the proper scale! :-)

Regarding the size of the knight model : the 20X21X20 is the size of the area which the knight was set in when it gets loaded in. However, after looking at it, I realized that it obviously doesn't take up that full area. If I clicked on the “shrink to fit model” button, the area shrunk down to 18X8X15. That is the real size of the knight.

Of course, this specific model is widest from left to right (18 voxels), and fairly narrow from front to back (8 voxels). As well as being relatively tall (15 voxels). If one keeps to those exact same proportions for everything, then all the models will have to be of that same basic shape (meaning wide from left to right, but narrow from front to back). Some compromises might be allowing models to flip around the dimensions, for example 8X15X18 might also be allowable dimensions, or perhaps simply sticking to a maximum of 18 per dimension (so 18X18X18).

My vote is for 18x18x18. I’m not too handy with MagicaVoxel yet. :(

@taby : I'm still learning MagicaVoxel too. So don't worry about it.

But I just want to be sure that we have an actual size that we can stick with. Whatever size that turns out to be.

Here's how they look in action:

knight and rain from the ephtracy motherlode of vox files

Here we are!!! Monsters!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement