🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Game Concept Help

Started by
1 comment, last by Alberth 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey everyone, I am trying to create a new game but I am bad at concept art and drawing. I have an idea in my head of how each biome area of my game will look like in my head, but I am having a hard time drawing it or creating the blueprints for the level design. There will be 4 biomes I am thinking about, with one being underground in tunnels. I would love to get any help or advice on how to do this better. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am looking to create the game as a turn-based RPG. With the game being turn-based, I will get the player more involved by having optional button presses to time the attacks properly. I understand coding in Unreal with blueprints and C++. I understand I will want to create a hitbox around the enemy whenever the player hits it as soon as the attack connects, there will be bonus damage applied to the attack. There should also be a timed event when the attack starts to when the animation of the move hitting begins the impact. I believe my thought process is correct, but I would like to verify or get some additional insight on this concept as well if I am on the right path.

Thank you,

Przemyslaw “Shem” Wisniewski

Advertisement

Start smaller, much much smaller.

Don't think 4 biomes, don't think 1 biome. Think 1 room, or even 1 action first.

When we're thinking, we may believe we got it all covered, but in reality we skip most of the “obvious details”. Those details do need to be supplied to a computer, and they do need to be designed.

So cover your basic steps first, walk to somewhere, grab something, detect presence, I don't know, all things you want to do and all the things you want to encounter. Once you get the hang of those somewhat start expanding (make them smarter, or try a different approach), combining them, maybe all together in a room.

First get on solid ground with elementary stuff that you know works, only then expand to rooms and levels.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement