🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Beoming a game designer: game design degree vs computer science degree. What's y'alls thoughts?

Started by
9 comments, last by Geri 1 year, 5 months ago

Heya,

I've been over this before on reddit, but I'd like to get y'alls opinion on this before I finally choose which degree I pursue. From the reddit thread what I got from them is that a game design degree can only be used for game design and has no use anywhere else, so it's gonna be a tough time if you don't get in the industry after college or you turn out not to like it. Also that most or all game design degrees kinda suck.

Now, I'd definitely be interested in a computer science degree, I like programming. The thread said it'd be better but it wouldn't prepare me that much, so I'd have to get experience on my own, which im doin anyway right now so that's aight.

None

Advertisement

I have no experience with game degrees at all, but what you're saying is also what I read here.

A CS degree will be a much more solid foundation, not only in a games environment but also elsewhere.

Note you have a misconception about the CS degree. You will be programming there, but the education is not about programming, its about the fundamental theory behind it (ie what techniques exist so you can solve the problem at hand, how to apply these techniques to arrive at a correct solution, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a solution, will it still work when scaling up by a factor 30?).

Programming is just applying the theory in practice (basically testing if what you invented is indeed correct).

The problem that you're solving dictates in what application domain you're working. While some techniques are more dominant in some application domains, in all domains it's applying the theory to arrive at a solid solution.

gamechfo said:
Now, I'd definitely be interested in a computer science degree, I like programming.

Then why do you need anybody else's opinion? If that's what you like, that's what you should do. A game designer with a CS degree would definitely be a force to reckon with. You can always take game design classes as electives.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:
Then why do you need anybody else's opinion?

I've been wrong on this before so I wanted to make sure I'm right on it now. But now with that reddit thread and this, it definitely sounds like CS is the way to go for me.

Tom Sloper said:
A game designer with a CS degree would definitely be a force to reckon with

Really? I knew it was a bonus, just not how much of one.

None

Alberth said:
Note you have a misconception about the CS degree. You will be programming there, but the education is not about programming, its about the fundamental theory behind it

Oh I didn't know that, good to know.

None

There’s a balance to be struck. Like, do you want to know how to decode a JPEG, or do you want to learn how to call a library to do the decoding? What do you have time for?

CS is the way to go.

Most people with game degrees find themselves pigeonholed into looking for games jobs, and no one outside of games will give them the time of day.

Also, having a games degree will impress no one, and is NOT the golden ticket into the industry as they market it to be.

Best case scenario with a games degree, is you will be over qualified to work for or start an indie studio.

@Tom Sloper

I feel like this is a FAQ, I'm sure I've seen this exact question discussed many times.

Is there someplace we can compile FAQs? on this site.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

GeneralJist said:
Is there someplace we can compile FAQs? on this site.

Post site-specific questions in the Comments, Suggestions, Ideas forum. Upper management sees posts there.

GeneralJist said:
@Tom Sloper I feel like this is a FAQ, I'm sure I've seen this exact question discussed many times.

fwiw, here's one I wrote about degrees: https://sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.html

Get a formal education with any random IT related cert which involves the basics, such as algorithms, some programming, transistors, word and excel. Because 999 from 1000 people in the industry will not even understand what binary numbers and a logic gates are. Which, sadly, will not even prevent them from flocking up and loudly typing on forums - but will prevent them from making games, or anything more skill-demanding task than setting up a php website at a free webhost company.

Once you have the basics you are good to go, there are no noteworthy gamedev related studies, you are on your own, you know what you want to do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement