🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm in trouble!

Started by
5 comments, last by Metus 22 years, 6 months ago
Well what can I say; I DO have to much ideas; however, one of them is a Fantasy-RPG and the other is a Futiristic Horror RPG. I could write two different Designdocuments (The Fantasy-RPG is 3/4 Top-Down a la Baldur''s Gate and the Horror is a 3D Third OR First person shooter) or maybe I could merge both ideas into a huge story. Perhaps the game begins in the past and the player kills/captures the bad guy and the game is over..or? 2500 years later the bad guy will awake and stronger than ever ruin the world, but the Hero with capital H will be reborn. So. how could i merge this two engine-types? Well, when travelling between areas the 3/4 topdown view will be used, but as soon the player will examin a cave, a castle or whatever; the view will become 3D? Or do you guys have any other ideas?
Ethereal
Advertisement
your idea is too cliche, but that is not what your asking.
just make the whole game in 3d and then have it switch camera angles
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Hey that is my idea , you have to pay Royalities if you make this Game ( LoL ) , any way keep working..
When you build a 3d engine, bear in mind it only works in reference to any polygonal elements you use. So, say you have a 3d dungeon built in ploygons with a 3d character also built in polygons, they would both respond to the same engine mechanics (assuming you go general engine and not case by case). However, if you have a screen that is just a 640x480 bitmap, theres nothing that says you can''t have polygons rendered over it, with the "camera" at a fixed value and the polygons in question being your 3d character model.

:: Inmate2993
:: William C. Bubel
"Please refrain from bothering Booster."
william bubel
It just occured to me that this is gamewriting and not gamedesign. So, you may want to have this thread moved over, or start talking about the literary elements, in which case tell us more about the background plot ond character personalities.

:: Inmate2993
:: William C. Bubel
"Please refrain from bothering Booster."
william bubel
Well, I Didn''t say i WILL use the idea, it''s just the basic idea to move from Fantasy to Future "realtime" with two different engines.
Ethereal
I wouldn´t switch at all, what you propose is not only a switch in viewports but also a break in the continuity of the story. In games it is pretty hard to involve and immerse the player in an ongoing story while preserving the overall interactivity, so I would not risk kicking the player out of the setting he has become used to.

If you have two games, write the docs for two games, there´s no benefit in bringing the two together by force.
What you might want to think about though would be the possibility of a sequel. Then you can base your two game worlds on the same universe, with the same underlying mechanisms and principles and you can even reuse parts of the story.. letting the player discover fragments of what has happened before. The story would probably be nothing as simple as "Hero reborn", but something along "Heir to the Hero", where you can let players which are new to the universe discover everything they need to know while giving the veterans the "cool, I know this place" feeling that will make them feel smart.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement