🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What books did developer read for game development in the 1990s?

Started by
18 comments, last by Drake1054 1 year, 5 months ago

There were plenty of books, but smaller articles were more common.

When I first started programming in 1983 I had three books: a computer user's reference guide, a BASIC programming reference manual, and a game programming book. Then over the following years my friends and I picked up several more game programming books. In addition to the game programming books having collections of dozens of games, more importantly they included topics on sprites and sprite animation, sound, and other tools needed to make games. With the source you could implement a specific thing, but with the concept you could implement anything. Most of these were written in BASIC, the language was portable enough so you could adapt it, and they were for the common machines like the Commodore 64, the TRS-80, the Apple 2, the TI 99 (which is what I had), the Atari 800, and similar. All had a similar BASIC programming language built in, all supported graphics and sounds, all had optional game controllers or paddles or joysticks, so a game programming book for one could be used on any of them.

In the mid 1980s I was looking through local bookstores for books about game programming. There were plenty of books on game development, but were more about basic how-to guides on those same topics of simple sprites and animation, tonal beeps and note frequencies, line drawing and curve drawing algorithms, and similar. More books than my young budget could afford, but tremendous overlap on what they covered.

Although those early games were simple by today's standard, they were on par with arcade games of the then-recent past, as well as text-based games. You can write one line of text at a time to generate a “ski” style game. Simple sprites can make games like Space Invaders and Asteroids. I made a lot of maze games because maze generation is easy. Snake was simple. Missile command, various tank games, simple driving games. For all the styles of games you could find books and articles describing the basics for all of them.

As the years passed, people started writing articles on BBS, or since you're young, Bulletin Board Systems where people would post and share files before the inter-connected network was widely accessible. Other people would share their notes on Usenet, which was basically a discussion board for the early Internet that was mirrored on various BBS. I spent a lot of time reading those in the early 1990s. The format was usually small articles rather than books.

By 1990 I was using libraries and the inter-library loan system to get all kinds of game programming books and magazines. They were still primitive by todays standards, but they were real examples of complete source code for small games. Lots of niche magazines existed where anyone who could write a game in <20 pages of printed text (usually 4 columns wide) could get it published and shared. People talked about how they solved the problems, how they created mechanics, and anyone who wanted could type the code on their own box and adapt it to their own ideas.

We used hardware references like Ralf Brown's Interrupt List that listed all the hardware functions on the PC. There were more proper journals and magazines like Dr Dobb's Journal (DDJ) that had roots in in sharing video game programming that included a bunch of people writing about game-oriented content. For example, author of a set of books “Zen of Assembly Language” Michael Abrash, who wrote about a bunch of techniques for high performance in graphics from his days working on pac-man clones, maze games, space invader clones, and similar. He wrote for DDJ while working at Microsoft on early grahpics code for Windows 3.1, as he transitioned to id software to work on games like Quake and wrote all kinds of articles about how to get high performance. He wasn't the only game-specific writer but he was (and remains) high profile. Lots of game developers had articles on algorithms and techniques published in DDJ.

By the early 1990s people had compiled a bunch of high profile articles in what was called the PC Game Programmer's Encyclopedia (PCGPE), you can still find expanded collections of the articles online. This still wasn't really a book, but a series of articles on how to do things. I remember struggling through the XMS article and the first time I was able to use memory beyond the 640KB limit (also called the A20 line). There were also growing collections of books on the math and algorithms that were focused on game development specifically, rather than having to draw from mathematics books and general computer science textbooks.

For game design, books and articles tended to have tiny nuggets about design and game mechanics sprinkled in. Usually it was of the form “we struggled with this feature, here's a description of how we solved the problem, and here is some source code.” Think more like a technical research paper.

By the end of the 1990s and early 2000, there were ever growing collections based on the same format of PCGPE. Books like the Game Programming Gems series were published, and just like the Game Programmer's Encyclopedia were a collection of small game-focused articles compiled into a larger book.

And by the early 2000s there were websites like gamedev.net (hehe) with an ever-expanding collection mostly in article format. You can still browse over a thousand articles, tutorials, and guides on the archive of this site from that era.

Advertisement

frob said:
There were more proper journals and magazines

That's right. Game Developer magazine (later, changed name to GDMag), and Chris Crawford's Journal of Computer Game Design.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

smile9 said:
But I wonder how game developers worked in the 1990s, how they made games, how they learning before the Internet became as widespread as it is today.

How? We learned on our own expense, sometimes, sacraficing our sanity a bit.

When i wrote my first 3d renderer for my i8086 computer, i lacked most of basics of mathetmatics (i was an elementary school student).
So i had to build my entire projection algo from 0.

I remember rotating a box in front of my eyes and trying to understand how can i do a calculation about it. I noticed the box edge is wobbling and fluctuating left and right as i was rotating it.

I came up with a function that resembled this. It took me 2 weeks.

Half years later, i have accidentally found what SIN/COS is.

I am still not sure if i should be proud or ashamed of myself.

The OP is planning to time Travel!!!

Quick, stop him?

@ earlier, oops…

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This reminds me of Plush, by Nullsoft. The same company that did Winamp.

Geri said: I am still not sure if i should be proud or ashamed of myself.

I think if it's helpful to you, you should be proud.

@smile9 I don't have an experienced insight on what developers read back then but I would say, depending on where you look at it, those “books” are now pretty outdated. To make a game, just learn different basics then you got to get an original idea. With this in mind, follow tutorials and take classes. Eventually, you will have a rough game. (watch devlogs)

Around the time Win95 came out, for college, I did a report/presentation thing on games. I vaguely remember stuff about mode 13 graphics and tiling. For sound, I think some stuff on wav, mod and mp3. A bit about getting input from joysticks. I don't think I was using the internet at that time and I seem to remember getting some from like 2 books that were at the library. The only reason I can imagine for ever wanting to go back to that kind of stuff is if you're dealing with significant hardware limitations. But the phones everybody have now are way more powerful than those old computers ever were so I don't see how those limitation would really come up anymore.

smile9 said:
how do they know how to build game mechanics as character ability power up system? how they know to reverse engineering game competitor company.

Everything was much simpler back then. Lots of children in the elementary school already knew how to code in c64 assembly. When a 13 years old kid was writing raster interrupt code in the math workbook… it was quite “normal”.
The information were much more valuable, no internet (we didn't even have a landline phone before 1997), the books were hard to obtain too.
So we had to meet other people and exchange the knowledge. Pages photocopied from books, small code snippets written on paper… etc.

We didn't reverse engineer (occasionally looked into some code dump, but it was rare).
Simply just watching other games and tried to figure out how they did it. That's it ?

The mentioned books: “Tips of the game programming gurus” and the “More tips…” came later in the 90's as I remember I never managed to get a copy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement