πŸŽ‰ Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! πŸŽ‰

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Soon to be graduate

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1Β year, 1Β month ago

Hello,

Im a soon to be graduate of a Game Programming and Development Degree and id like to take the time leading up to graduation brushing up on things that college may not have taught me. I plan on going into a programming role, what are some things I should look into, knowledge you found very crucial to know going into your career, or things you wish you'd known before starting your career?

Advertisement

Moved to the Career Development forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:
Moved to the Career Development forum.

There needs to be a Class Assignment forum.

ED: I'm not sending a PM or making a forum request for one. It's a rhetorical statement, if there is such a thing.

πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚<←The tone posse, ready for action.

@Tom SloperThank you for moving this, I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum, I should have looked a little harder for where to post this.

mruckman said:
take the time leading up to graduation brushing up on things that college may not have taught me

Never stop learning. Computers change at a very high rate. You'll be obsolete in 20 years if you don't maintain and expand your knowledge. Prepare for live-long learning.

@Alberth Thank you for the advice! Thats exactly what I'm doing now, as far as I can tell by the time college has taught me something it's outdated so I'm going through each class I've taken and looking into whether that knowledge is still current or if there are better methods, outside of that just looking to fill in potential gaps.

Networking is one of the most important things. I have friends that bounce form studio to studio and sometimes end up back at studios that let them go years before. All because of the networks that they have created.

None

anna1 said:
This is really cool and effective advice! It can be applied to any field, but programming, computer, and information technology are developing at an unstoppable speed.

Not sure if generic comment is serious or spam.

πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Looks like it's time to lock this thread.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement