๐ŸŽ‰ Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! ๐ŸŽ‰

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Who deleted my post and why???

Started by
11 comments, last by Choo Wagga Choo Choo 9ย months, 4ย weeks ago

Can you stop with pointless censorship?

Put it back.

Would like an explanation.

We need better mods.

๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚<โ†The tone posse, ready for action.

Advertisement

What was the post?

Admin for GameDev.net.

https://gamedev.net/forums/topic/714781-i-will-proofread-english-translations-for-free/โ€‹

ratspeak said:

@fleabay Some pointers for clarity: usually inserting text before reaction images is easier for the reader to parse! Additionally, I recommend avoiding all caps unless you want to signify that a person is yelling, or when prefacing dialogue with a character's name. This is particularly true for sans-serif fonts, as all caps can be harder to process in something like Calibri or Arial. Hope this helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn't appreciate being talked down to. I posted something (this is almost verbatim) to the effect ofโ€ฆ

Some pointers for clarity:

I WAS YELLING AND WILL CONTINUE TO YELL.

The forum software puts the text after the image so tell it to the admins.

Nobody likes a nitpicker. Don't be a nitpicker.

@fleabay Agreed. Ban the pedantic, nitpicking newbies (that includes Claudia Fernandes).

I requested a title change so the forum doesn't have to see such foul language on the front page. ๐Ÿ™‚

I appreciate fleabay's report, requesting that the thread title be edited to remove the obscenity, but unfortunately thread titles cannot be edited. Not by moderators, anyway.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:
but unfortunately thread titles cannot be edited. Not by moderators, anyway.

What a crap forum software. That seems like a basic feature of any half decent forum. Ridiculous. This place was destroyed by the 2017-2018 era site redesign. I have no kind words towards site admins for that extremely questionable move.

Aressera said:

Tom Sloper said:
but unfortunately thread titles cannot be edited. Not by moderators, anyway.

What a crap forum software. That seems like a basic feature of any half decent forum. Ridiculous. This place was destroyed by the 2017-2018 era site redesign. I have no kind words towards site admins for that extremely questionable move.

I can appreciate the frustration. Maybe the forum software has caused a few people to throw their hands up and leave for one reason or another, but I don't think that's the real source of the issue. Forums in general are a dying breed, and GameDev.net is one of the few substantial ones that remain - although I don't know how much longer I'll personally want to pay to keep the lights on (luckily I can), especially with this kind of vitriol that I get every week (also on email). Simply not worth it.

No excuses though. The software does have issues (way more stable than the previous mess though). Luckily it's this kind of feedback that helps me know where to spend my time to make things better.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I should have added that I changed the topic title. Moderators don't have the ability at the moment, but I do.

Admin for GameDev.net.

khawk said:
Forums in general are a dying breed

Unfortunately that's true. But other alternatives like S/O are just places for frustrated people. And things like reddit are things for young. For youtube, I have other things to do than to watch someone badly explains something, and having to wait until he decides to talk about what I could be interested in. And then comes the problem of understanding his Englishโ€ฆ So I would like to believe that there's some future for forums, but maybe in other forms.

There's also a second beast behind this. 2000 is far away now. The time where most of programmers wanted to do 3D or develop their own engine or game is over. People aren't interested in joining to create something from scratch. People just want to use UE or Unity to โ€œquickly make moneyโ€.

Last thing is that most of the โ€œpost-teenโ€ of 2000 now have family, stable job and so on. So their life tends to be more far from computers.

Aressera said:
What a crap forum software. That seems like a basic feature of any half decent forum. Ridiculous

I'm not really sure that would be helpful in any direction.

Final things: I found that forumers get more and more rude and crude, specially toward new comers, just like if forumers do not want new people to join their community because they're not the reflect of who they became after 20 years of practice. Some people just act like machines on forums, and this is personally what I dislike from them. I believe that if someone is not happy from someone else's question, then he's free not to post, instead of trying to bring someone else down.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement